Back to work

It was a week since Christmas and the sound of my alarm woke me up. Meredith was out of bed.
" Mer?" I called.
There was a note on the counter. It said " Bailey was crying so I took him for a walk with Lexie talking about wedding. Mark will be over at 8. Love you ~Mer."
It was 7:30. I took a shower and got Zola ready. Mark came in as we were eating breakfast.
" hey zo how are you?" Mark said giving her a kiss on the head.
" how's everything?" I asked
" good... Here?"
" good."
" that's good."
" mmhmm."
I turned towards Zola. " zo mama is gonna be home soon so why don't you go get ready."
She got up and went in her room. Meredith came home and Mark and Lexie left for work.
" SOOO?" I asked
" she's ready, she just doesn't have anything ready."
" mmhmm."
Zola came out of her room.
" Zola do you have to bring snack to daycare today?" Mer asked
" yeah." She said
" oh Zola I've asked you to write it in the calendar or at least tell me."
" sorry mum."
" just hurry up so we can run to the store."
"We have left over fruit if you want her to bring that." I said
" do we really?!"
" yeah I was gonna take the leftovers out today anyway."
" Zola you're taking fruit for snack today."
" okay."
We headed out the door and meredith dropped them off at daycare. Lexie was already starting to show. I put my hand on her belly.
" how far along are you exactly?"
" a month and a half."
" Lexie, are you ready for this?"
" derek your my brother so I tell you everything. And I'm completely honest aren't i?"
I shook my head.
" alright then so believe me when I tell you this I am so ready to have this kid."
" okay then." I removed my hand from her stomach " we have rounds."
We walked into Anna's room. Everyone was standing in there with her.
" anna! How are you feeling?" I asked
" better do I get to go home today?"
" well let's take a look"
I examined her while they read off her charts.
" well Anna..." I said sitting on the side of her bed facing her family. " I'm afraid...." Was all I could get out before Anna started to ramble on " I knew it in never leaving this place." I let her continue until she stopped.
" Anna... Anna I was gonna say I'm afraid this is the last time you'll see me"
She looked at me with big eyes.
" I'm going home?!"
" she's going home?!" Her family asked
" you are going home."
They gave us all hugs and said thank you. I turned towards her mother and step dad.
" can I speak to you for a minute?"
They followed me into the hallway.
" dr. Shepherd is there something wrong?"
" the police would like to talk to you about Anna's dad and what is going to happen next."
" well I'm gonna get full custody that bastard is never gonna see her again."
" go tell the police. Good luck take care of her." I said shaking their hands. The mother hugged me.
" thank you Derek."
" you're welcome."