50.

...

Continued

...

Cookie laid awake. Wide awake. Tossing and turning constantly. She couldn't shut her mind off, or clear out her thoughts. All she could think about was earlier today. Anika and Tori. The thought of it frustrated her and made her saddened at the same time. All she knew was that this was the most pain she's felt in awhile. She didn't know if she was being dramatic, or being sensitive, because it was unlike her. Cookie didn't pout, or whine. She never questioned her worth or compare herself to another woman. But how could she possibly compete with someone like Tori?

Cookie laid on her side, staring at her clock that read 2am. The pattering of rain on the roof didn't help. It usually soothed her, but right now the sound of rain only reminded her more of Anika.

She wished that she was here, holding her. She's gotten used to it now, it was nearly a requirement in order for her to get her best rest.

She looked over at her phone on her nightstand. She wished that Anika would at least say something to her.

...

Anika laid on her side, staring at her face-down cell phone on her nightstand. "Should I...text her? What if she's asleep? But what if she can't sleep? What if..." She had multiple thoughts in her head. She wanted to text her, to talk to her. But she didn't want to bother her, and she felt a slight amount of guilt for not telling Cookie everything that happened in the room with Tori. But the true question is, did she really lie?

She thought back to the moment between the two of them. Tori kissing the back of her hand, looking up at her with those eyes. Saying she was sorry and she loved Anika just as much as she loved her.

Anika quickly shook her head out of those thoughts, and reached over to grab her phone. She sent a quick text message to Cookie.

...

Cookie grabbed the phone quickly the moment she heard that she got a message. She read the contents:

Anika: "Are you asleep?"

Cookie: "Yes."

...

Anika smiled to her lightly. "I knew you were awake." She said to herself.

...

Anika: "I miss you."

Cookie: "Clingy."

Anika: "For you, of course."

Anika: "I hope you're...feeling okay."

Cookie: "I'm not sure."

Anika sighed, hanging her head for a moment.

Anika: "Listen, about earlier-"

In the middle of Anika's texting, she suddenly got a phone call. She realized that the number wasn't saved, so more than likely she had an idea who it was.

She stared at the screen, her face going stiff. She debated on if she should answer it, on if she should do it. She shouldn't. And she knew she shouldn't have.

"It's two in the morning."

"And yet you're awake."

"I'm guessing you're calling for a late night pillow-talk?"

"If that's what you want."

"What do you want, Tori?"

Tori's voice sounded somewhat groggy on the other side of the phone. It was clear that she was asleep before calling.