15.

...

Friday

...

Cookie twiddled her thumbs as she waited for Jamal to come around the corner. She's avoided Anika as much as she could today, because she refuses to confront her about the traumatic thing that happened the other night.

She spoke to herself, trying to calm herself down. "Oh lord please help me.." she whispered, looking up at the ceiling and shaking her head. She peeked around the corner, and she saw Jamal approaching rather confused. She snapped her fingers at him, motioning for him to speed up.

He started to shuffle towards her, looking over his shoulder. Once he reached the end of the hallway, Cookie grabbed his arm and yanked him completely around the corner. She looked over her shoulder. "Ma what's going on?- Shh, boy." She said. "Did anyone see you come over here?" She asked. "I..don't think so, what is this about- Did your father see you come over here?" She asked him, a serious look on her face but the eyes of paranoia. "What? No- okay then come here." She said, tugging him closer to her than he already was.

She stared up at him for a few moments before speaking. "I have something to say, and I feel like you're the only one who will understand me. And I need your advice. But Jamal...please don't judge me.." she said. Jamal let out a sigh. "Let me guess, you want dad back- No, boy..!" She said. "Oh okay, good." He said. She released another sigh.

"Do you...remember that night?" She asked him. "Oh, yeah the performances at Leviticus?- right." Said Cookie. "Do you remember me getting drunk, or tipsy or whatever?" She asked. "Well no, but I heard about it. I left earlier since Anika said she would take you home. I was looking for you and Porsha told me that afterwards, so I figured you would be fine."

"Okay..." trailed off Cookie. "Did something happen?" Jamal asked her. "N-no, not...anything bad at least.." said Cookie. "So what's wrong?" She asked her curiously. "Look, yes Anika took me home. But when we got there...I did and some some things I regret." Said Cookie. "Dang ma, did you make the woman cry or something?" Asked Jamal. "No, boy. Be quiet and let me explain." She said. She looked around her again before she spoke, and she got silent once an employee walked by.

"She took me home, and I don't remember much from last night besides what she told me yesterday. But...I what I said...it didn't make her cry.." said Cookie. Suddenly her eyes started to water. Jamal began to looked more concerned. "Are you okay, ma? What happened? You can tell me." He said.

"I snitched." She said.

"What do you mean you snitched? You said you don't want dad back so I doubt it was something about him, right?" Asked Jamal

"What do you mean you snitched? You said you don't want dad back so I doubt it was something about him, right?" Asked Jamal. "It wasn't...it was...about me.." she said. "What did you say?" Jamal asked. "It's a long story on how I got myself to this point. But I told her...that she makes my feelings confused..." Cookie trailed off. He scrunched up his nose. "You mean like...she makes you like her one moment and hate her the next?" He asked.