70.

...

Day 7

...

Today was the last day that Anika and Cookie would spend in the Cayman Islands. After sightseeing, sting ray swimming, stargazing, sunset watching, clubbing, eating, dancing, and drinking, the women had reached the end of their wonderful getaway. The last day ought to surely be the best.

Anika stepped out of the shower, her hair dripping with water. It hung down just a little further now, the nice size of a curly Afro, reminding her of how it was when she was younger.

...

In bed, Cookie was talking to her therapist after a long awaited period of time. She sat against the head board, a light smile on her face as she spoke to the woman on the screen. "...and how have you been sleeping?" Asked Dr. Wick. "I've been sleeping good. Better every night, actually. I feel...different since I've came on this trip." Said Cookie.

Dr. Wick stared at her. "Cookie, correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a certain glow in you that I've never seen before." She said. Cookie looked away, then curling her lips. "Uhh...I've just, you know, been relaxed." She said. Dr. Wick grinned, tilting her head. "Cookie, us women all know what that particular glow means. And I'll say that I am glad that you're stress free." She said. Cookie tried not to smile too much, a shy reaction creeping within her.

"Thank you." Cookie replied. "Now, where we left off was concerning certain experiences within your past.  I want you to remind yourself daily of the good thing that you have overcame, and do not blame yourself for anything that you had to commit during your time of incarceration, alright? How does that sound?" Dr. Wick asked. Cookie exhaled, nodding. "You're right. Okay. Right..." Cookie said. She was still in the process of trying to overcome her past. She didn't want to still dwindle on it. To still allow it to control her emotions. But it was hard, some days harder than others to release those things without feeling resentment.

Anika walked out of the bathroom, shaking her damp hair that was now filled with product. A cheetah-print robe hung down above her thighs. It was Cookies. She stood in front of a mirror that wasn't far from the bathroom, examining her curl definition. Anika looked at her in the reflection, showing a warm smile to her.

Cookie needed a reason to overcome her past. And currently standing in front of the mirror and smiling at her, was one of those reasons.

"And sometimes, it's good to try physical exercises that can help you to relive tension and regather your mental stability when you feel it drifting away. Things like rubbing your own shoulders, stretching, yoga, or meditation are good methods for this. Use this time to relax your thoughts and allow them to roam free. Come to terms with them and analyze them, but understand that you do not need to be reliant on them. They do not define you if you do not want them to. And you do not need to chase after them, allow them to drift as far as they can." Said Dr. wick.

Anika could hear this clearly, although over time she had been becoming used to hearing Cookies therapy sessions. Even though she is pleased that they usually aren't about her anymore, she still enjoys the fact that she no longer feels fear in calling out her mental health and seeking healthy ways to find stability. She used to be a woman who bottled everything up, trying to force herself to let go of things but hold onto the anger from it. To turn emotions into a temporary weakness.

But since she had been going to therapy and spending more time with Anika, she laughed more, cried more, communicated more, and at times check herself when she felt like she was going backwards. She was learning that her trauma does not need to be her baggage. And it can be addressed without being invited in each time it knocked.