77.

...

5 Months Pass

...

It was now November, and it seemed as if the cold outside was representing the cold that was overcoming Cookies beating heart.

Thanksgiving was today, and Cookie wanted nothing more than a nice traditional dinner with her family. With her whole family. And she figured that was the perfect time to confront Hakeem about the distance between the two of them.

Cookie was gradually returning back to her normal state. With the help of Jamal and Andre to motivate her, she managed to begin to clean her space again, shower regularly again. She started doing her makeup again, and Cooking again. Though she'd still have moments where her tears were heavy, she would manage to fall asleep, constantly thinking of the progress that Anika has made to soothe her hurting soul.

"Any time now.." she'd whisper to herself.

...

The table was as silent as it has ever been. A pin dropping would be far too loud. Cookie sat on the end, while Andre, Jamal, and Hakeem sat on the edges. The table was decorated with small dishes of food. Dressing, turkey, and other small items cooked in the kitchen with the assistance of Andre and Jamal. Hakeem was actually the guest in this scenario.

Hakeem seemed angry while he looked down into his lap. Cookie cleared her throat, putting her hair behind her ear. Andre broke the silence first. "Glad you're here, baby brother." He said. "What she call me over here for? I don't got nothin' I need to say to her." He said. "Hakeem- Naw, I just came for the food, and cause' she won't stop blowing my phone up." Said Hakeem. Cookie sulked. "Hakeem...it's been 5 months- And?- and? I've gone almost six months without talking to my son- Should've thought about that before you started sleeping with dads wife behind his back-" Jamal chimed in after Hakeems sentence. "She wasn't sleeping with her behind his back- Ion care what it is? You still slept with her." Hakeem said.

"Look, I know this whole thing isn't what we're used to, but dad has put all of us through hell since we started Empire." Said Andre. "Is that what he told you, Hakeem? That I did this behind his back?" Cookie asked. "That's what it look like." He said. "No, baby. That's not what happened. He lied. He lied to you and Andre. Your father was cheating on her for such a long time. He admitted it to her, and he tried to keep her from divorcing him by threatening to kill her if she filed for him cheating and the public found out that he was a two timing dog. So she let him say he was the victim to keep his reputation." Said Cookie. Hakeem smacked his lip.

"Man, whatevea'. I ain't tryna hear all that, I'm gone." Hakeem said, getting up from the seat. "She's serious. That's really what happened. When have you ever known dad to be a truthful person? He was the one who was really lying to us this whole time, trying to make mom and Anika look like the bad people." Said Jamal.

Hakeem turned around and stared at everyone in annoyance. He crossed his arms. "Okay, well what that gotta do with you sleeping with her?" Hakeem asked sharply. "I'm not just sleeping with her. We...have something serious. You know how much we hated each other. I tried to put our hate aside to actually be able to work together. And over time we just got closer. I thought I was crazy at first but I couldn't fight what I was feeling anymore. She's a good person, Hakeem. She treats all of us well and the only one who mistreats her is Lucious. She made me such a better person." Said Cookie. "You don't look better." Said Hakeem.

"That's because she's been stressed out and depressed because of Anika's coma, fool." Said Jamal. "How she all of a sudden end up in a coma anyway?" Hakeem asked. Cookie sighed. She wanted to cry just thinking about it. "She's in a coma because your father shot her." Said Cookie. Hakeems face changed slowly, fading into a look of confusion. "What?" He asked. "Right in the chest. Because he was that upset that I was happy with her. Because he wanted me to come back to him. She almost died in my arms. And each time I see her laying in that bed..." Cookie trailed off, sighing. Jamal rubbed her shoulder.