72.

...

The Next Day

...

Cookie heard a faint knock on her office door. "Come in." She mumbled quietly. She has been sulking since yesterday, having faint flashbacks to the moment at the mansion that broke her.

This morning, her own sons didn't even bother to speak to her. The only one who did was Jamal. As for Hakeem and Andre, they seemed like they didn't know how to approach her. It broke her heart in two.

For her own sons to have turned her back on her this way. Their father making them go to his side just like he did when she was locked away. Persuading them that she was an awful person who didn't want to see them. When that's all she wanted. What she wanted to badly that she wrote their names all over her body. On her shoes, on her hands, on her legs. To keep them as close to her as they could. And now, they acted like they didn't even know her anymore.

The door creaked open, and in walked Anika. Two boxes stacked in her arms that were filled with her things. "Hey..." she mumbled, a soft smile on her lips. Once Cookie turned around to see her things, it angered her. To know that he was tossing her out of a place again.

"Hey..." she sulked. Cookie had placed something into a box of her own that sat on her desk. Anika furrowed her eyebrows. "Why are you putting things into a box?" She asked. "He didn't fire me, but he downsized me to a smaller office on the other side of the goddamn building." Cookie scoffed.

 "At least you're still here

"At least you're still here..." Anika said, seeming to actually be satisfied with that. "Okay..." Cookie trailed off.

"But it's not the same

"But it's not the same..." Cookie said. "He's being sure to belittle me the best he can." Anika said. "What else can be ruin for you that he hasn't already?" Cookie sighed.