139: Stray Kids: Chansung

"Everyone! Water break is over, go back to the field. We're going to run part three again. Bring your instruments and music, please," our band director shouts, going back to talking to the guard instructor.

I groan, wiping sweat off of my forehead. Day three of band camp. Everything hurts, but at least we're making good progress with the marching show before school starts.

"Only two more days of this shit," Minho reminds, grabbing his baritone and connecting his flip book to it.

"Yeah, but this is your last year. We gotta come back next year," I whine, pointing at Jeongin and Felix who were taking last gulps of their water. Who knows when we'd get another break.

"Hurry, let's go, let's go. Back on the field. I'll let you out early to lunch if we can do three good reps of this."

A bunch of kids whoop, jogging to the field. How do they jog? My back is killing me and I'm out of breath from just standing here. I make it to the field, rereading my dots to find my place.

"Yo, let's do this," Hyunjin encourages, fist bumping me. At least I stand next to someone I actually like. None of the freshmen, thank god.

"Don't trip," I tease him. He rolls his eyes, flustering a bit.

Mr.Lee starts the met, counting us off with four beats. I hold my trumpet to my lips, holding in my place for eight counts. Soon enough, the entire band begins to move. I backward march, high on my toes so I don't trip. This song was the ballad, slow and steady.

Except I'm not good with backward marching and playing at the same time. My notes were wobbly because my ankles were wiggling from my weight. This sucks.

Soon enough, I'm standing in the back of the field. We're all in an arch; a messy one, but an arch. The piano music from the pit plays smoothly. Damn, Jong really knows his shit.

The music then picks up, except trumpets don't play. Everyone moves into two single lines — two long, single lines. It was an extremely tight fit. And then it happened.

As soon as I lifted my instrument to play, I didn't notice how close Chan was to me. I hit him right in the back of the head. Fuck.

"Oh shit- I'm so sorry! I didn't realize-"

He grasps the back of his head, holding his saxophone with one hand. He turns and looks at me with a grin, "it's okay, don't worry."

I nod, my ears burning red with embarrassment. Hitting a senior with your instrument? You're stupid, Jisung. I jump when I notice the band beginning to move again. Damn, I really liked playing that part.

-

"Hey, Jisung?"

I turn around, food tucked in my cheeks. Oh my god, why the hell am I so embarrassing in front of him? I chew my food quickly, covering my mouth and swelling.

"Hey- oh, um, I'm really sorry about what happened on the field. I wasn't paying attention and the space is-"

He laughs, shaking his head. "It's alright, I promise. It's not the first time that's happened. Brass instruments are... clumsy."

"Oh, uh, okay. What's up then?"

"I was wondering if you'd like to grab dinner sometime this week? I know a great restaurant. It's okay if you don't want to — band is really tiring."

I think about it, dumbfounded. He wants to go to dinner with me? Why?

"Uh, maybe next week? I have a lot going on this week."

"Sure! Next week sounds great. I'll text you the details later then. See ya." He walks away.

My ears burn. I turn back around, my friends all staring at me. "What?"

"Did Bang Chan just ask you out?"

"What? No. We're- no. He didn't."

"Oh, ho, ho, buddy. Yes, he did," Felix says, slapping my back. "Can't believe it."

"Saxophone players are sexy, bro," Minho shrugs. "Chan is a good guy though. You're lucky. You better feel him up real-"

"Minho!"

"What!"

_____

•How was this?

For anyone not in band:
Band camp - a 5-day (depends on your school if you stay overnight or just show up for like- 8 hours a day) event where band kids go to learn their marching show (a cool musical show that they play/march/run in. Also, there are always at least three songs in a show that band students have to memorize). They play at home football games and go to competitions. And YES, MARCHING BAND IS A SPORT.
Sets - what specific place/spot they're in
Dots - a list of spots/sets a single person has (this applies for one song; they usually have multiple tiny papers of dots for different songs. Ex. set 12: part 3, side 1, 2 steps inside the 45, 8 steps in front of the front hash)
Reps - runs of the entire show or a single song
Flip book - a thing that holds music onto the instruments
The pit - where front side line percussionists who don't march stand (keyboard, bells, etc).
Met/Metronome - device that plays a steady beat so the band doesn't slow or go too fast
Baritone - big, deeper trumpet
Trumpet - 🎺
Flute - spongebob's nose
Alto saxophone - little sax 🎷
Bari saxophone - big sax 🎷
Percussion/snare - 🥁
Tuba - biggest brass instrument on the field

You're welcome•