Chapter 16

◢✥◣

◥✥◤

◥✥◤

Letting out a soft hum your hands ran down the satin like fabric of your skirt smoothing down any unwanted creases, the heels you wore clicked softly against the floor and music began to grow louder and louder the more you walked.

Reaching up to double check if the mask you wore was sitting properly against your face you traced the slightly raised edge before letting your hand fall. You were curious as to what everyone else would be wearing and if they'd try to go for a theme.

Stepping through one of the hall's main archways your eyes instantly fell upon the brightly lit up room, the chandelier above practically glowed and the light was easily reflected off the white and gold interior.

Allowing your eyes to trail down from the ceiling towards the varying amount of people socializing with one another yet another hum left your lips.

Hopefully, Jonathan remembered.

Walking around the side of the room and greeting a few people who'd called you over, you eventually ended up stuck in a conversation with one of your parents' coworkers. The elderly man merely wanting to know how you've been, going on to talk about how much you'd grown.

"I remember you being this tall," Shifting the glass he had in hand and holding it parallel to the ground as if to show what the height was, the small cluster of people erupted into laughter. "Gah how small you were, but my did you have pudgy cheeks- almost like a chipmunk."

Letting out an awkward laugh at the statement your eyes practically screamed 'someone please help'. "Well, I was a kid back then." Chiming that in it seemed as though the elderly man merely waved off your words.

"Ah, you're still a young adult. Still a child in my books." clicking your tongue lightly his words stirred up your nerves, though you didn't want to be rude- at this point, he was practically asking for it. "Ah well, you know my son's around your age." Quickly adding that in the old man spared you a certain look. "And it's about time you started looking for a man isn't it?"

Definitely not liking where the conversation was heading you were about to speak when someone beat you to it. "Asking a lady such questions this early on?" A presence had quickly made itself known and glancing towards your side your eyes trailed up a pristine black suit following the curve of their mask till amber hues met your (E/C) ones. Blond hair was seemingly fixed up neatly without losing its signature style while a faint smile was strewn out across his lips.

"She's barely had enough time to greet everyone."

Each word spoken was thought over carefully, they were in a sort of knowing yet slightly condescending way and the older man could only let out a laugh in response.

"Ah, my apologies then."Tilting his head down slightly to add more meaning to his words the man turned his gaze towards where you stood. "I should let you get back to greeting the guests in that case."