We need to do something

~Chapter 157~

Charlis POV:
He's right... I can't keep doing this?!
Pretending like this isn't a problem??
Lydia's life will turn out exactly like mine?? She'll be doomed from the start.
I can't let that happen to her? My daughter? My flesh and blood.

Maybe I can't have her but someone else can? someone better than my parents... a family member maybe?

Who.

Literally who.

Chase and I have both 0 family.
We only have each other?

What are we supposed to do?

Charli: "I don't think we can do anything..."

He looked confused

Chase: "what?? You're joking? Yes we can? There's loads of things we can do?"
Charli: "like what."

He sighed and shook his head

Chase: "I don't know Charli! But we can try something?? Maybe a foster home?"

I refuse to put her into that system??

Charli: "and then what? She goes from family to family until she's 18? We never get to see her again? And who knows? What if her foster parents are worse??"
Chase: "ok, even better. Why can't I take her."

He already knows the answer to that

Charli: "you were in a mental facility for 8 years. Do you even know how hard it would be to get custody over her. I had to fight hard for these visits? Twice a year? And the court doesn't even know I'm sharing her with you? If they did I'd probably never get another visit again"

It's rigged, we can't get her back no matter how hard we try.
It's either her "happily" married grandparents, or her alcoholic mom and her suicidal father who's been to 13 different mental facilities?? Which one is the court gonna pick?

Lydia: "you guys don't have to keep fighting over me..."

I quickly looked at her-
Didn't know she was listening-

Charli: "Lydia what happened to your arm"

She sighed

Lydia: "nothing. Grandma just pulled me a little too hard. But it's okay. I'm okay. I was just being stubborn, I deserved it"

Chase is right... she is re living my childhood...

Charli: "I'm so sorry lyds... I'm sorry you'll never get the childhood you deserve... in fact you'll never get a childhood at all..."

He nodded slowly

Lydia: "that's alright... really... I know I won't ever get a normal childhood... but it's okay because I know I'm not a normal kid... I was a mistake... and even after I was born I was still not wanted..."

Oh my god I really hope that's not what she thinks??

Charli: "that is not true lydia!"
Chase: "if I had known you existed I would have wanted you, I swear??"

I looked at him

Lydia: "you didn't know I existed??"

Oh my god- I forgot. We never told her. Chase covered up for me we were gonna tell her-

Charli: "that's not true. Right chase."

I looked at him

She's gonna hate me...

Chase: "no it is true. She deserves the truth. Charli hid you from me your entire life. I never even knew she was pregnant."
Charli: "I was doing it for the right-"
Chase: "now you were not-"
Charli: "i did it for yo-"
Chase: "don't you dare say you did it for m-"
Charli: "well I di-"
Chase: "no you did no-"
Charli: "are we gonna keep having the same fight Over and ove-"

Lydia: "shut up!"

We looked at her

Lydia: "it's fine. It's fine. Would it really make a difference anyways? What would have you done Chase tell me. What would you have done if you'd known"
Chase: "I would have dropped out of school and gotten a job to help Charli and the baby"

I shook my head

Charli: "one problem, you couldn't have dropped out of school because you weren't in school, you were in a mental facility?? You're parents died?? You think i was just gonna go up to you and say I was pregnant??"
Chase: "yes! Because at least then I wouldn't have nothing?! I would have you, and I would have a child. I would have a family and I would have sacrificed everything for it."

At the end of the day... it wasn't his choice... plus how was I even supposed to know his parents died? How was I supposed to know he had nothing left if he never even bothered to contact me ever again?

Charli: "I was a teenager? I was scared and I didn't know what else to do? And I thought by the time I was old enough I'd be able to take her back but I wasn't able to, what do you expect me to do?"
Chase: ok you're right. Let's stop having the same fight again and again. It won't change the past."

Exactly?

Lydia: "stop fighting! I'm fine?? I'm not being abused?? I just have strict parents"

P a r e n t s??

I looked at her like she was crazy

Chase: "they are not your parents?!"
Charli: "no no no no they are your grandparents! We are your parents??"
Lydia: "ok I'm sorry I meant guardians"

I nodded

Chase: "look Charli, I don't care what we have to do but we need to do something"
Charli: "Lydia just said it herself. She is fine?"
Chase: "do you really want her to turn out like you Charli??"

What...?

Charli: "oh no?? I'd never want that in a million years?! Tell mr Chase. How did I turn out??"

I started to walk away

Charli: "I think I'm gonna go back home now, my real home. Bye Lydia. See you next year. Sorry I have to leave in such a Rush"

I walked to the door and chase followed me

Chase: "charli that isn't what I meant?? You know that?? I'm sorry?!"

I think it is.
He didn't want his pour innocent daughter to end up like me.
A train wreck, his ex girlfriend who's a crazy sociopath.

Charli: "goodbye Chase. I shouldn't have ever come back.

Lydia was Better off without me anyways.

I walked out the door

A/n
Oop.
Looks like Charli became her old self for a few minutes and stuck to it.
Is church girl disappearing? 🤷‍♀️

Thank you so much for 80k!!
20k more!

I got 42 chapters left, that's my goal 😄

Word count - 1046