Friends: Yuuichi Katagiri's SS

I never in my life knew what it meant to be loved, i can't remember a single memory or image of my real parents either.

i only ever cared about money due to my desperate status, i had no clothes nor food to eat so i valued money like it was god and i am a humble servant.

the only memories i have are of...that man and that woman, my parents i guess you could call them.

one of them was an utter scumbag who worked in the underground side of the country, preying on the young and foolish, murdering, stealing, raping and so on. 

hell he even funded the works of another scumbag for the sake of torturing children into becoming super humans, unnatural homonculus to be exact, children capable of doing physically and mentally impossible things like break a house down in 5 seconds with their barehands, solve 1000 equations in a second and so on.

the other was...humble, she was a kind woman who loved me very much so, her bright smile seemed to bring back any sense of normality in me.

"listen now yuuichi, i am your mother from here on out so go on...call me 'mom'!" she said one day as i visited her in the hospital as she was bedridden for a long time.

"no thank you, miss yuka" i replied as i stared at her aimlessly.

she narrowed her eyes before sighing.

"one day you'll accept it you cute little devil" she said as she smiled at me to which my cheeks reddened a little.

"uhm miss yu-...no, mom...why do you always tell me to value friends more than money? is money not the currency used around the world to obtain objects, wouldn't i be able to just buy friends with it?" i asked to which her eyes widened for a moment before she smiled.

"you see yuuichi...friends aren't really that easy to obtain as you think, friendship is a complicated thing much like love but it's benefits are wide and increasing, so even if you overlook its pros and cons...you'll find it to be quite...lovely"

lovely?...

"i see but how do i make friends?...people tell me i am creepy and i don't have anything else to say after that..."

she giggled a little before putting her hand on my head

"smile a little" she said as she looked at me with a warm smile on her face.

"smile?..." i mumbled.

"yes smile!, give everyone happiness and they will return it gratefully, be happy yuuichi!"

happy....how can i do that?, i am always frowning or looking aimlessly at anything that interests me.

i sigh and push her hand away slowly.

"okay mom...i'll try" i replied to which a grin formed on her face.

"hehehe calling me mom twice already, you make me so happy yuuichi!!" she said as she kept giggling happily to herself while i mumbled in embarrassment.

.

.

.

"are you done...yuuichi?" the man in the black coat asked as he looked at me with his never fading smile.

"i am" i replied as i looked at him aimlessly.

the man smiled as he put his hand on head and asked me a question.

"what do you want to learn today?" he said as he stared at me.

i stayed silent for a moment before a smile formed on my face as i answered him.

"i want to learn how to make friends...."