Alone in the morning

Artemis was a rather awkward person. He almost took pride in the fact not many people knew his entire life story, he knew people saw him as overcompensating and a big-mouth, to keep himself sane he'd always think about how much people didn't know.

But there was someone who always knew everything. He told Shino everything, from the moment they started talking they just clicked, not an awkward barrier or an unenjoyable moment between them. He was Artemis's sense of security, growing up in an orphanage where everyone would be adopted out and all the people you know would eventually always leave, Shino was the one thing in his life that didn't feel temporary.

Artemis never really thought about intimacy, he didn't know enough about it to long for it. But he trusted Shino, he trusted him enough with his virginity, it was rather sad that he'd always remember that moment as his first real time he truly felt awful around Shino.

It wasn't the sex itself, just the aftermath.

Artemis was absolutely exhausted, all the muscles in his hips and legs ached yet he was smiling, met with a soft kiss from Shino. "Are you ok? Do you need anything?" He asked, an undertone of concern and comfort in his voice. "I'm okay, i'm so tired.." he mumbled back, turning himself more towards his boyfriend in means of comfort.

Shino had explained to him it would hurt, honestly it wasn't as painful as he expected. However it was incredibly tiring, he was barely awake enough to even acknowledge getting barely re-dressed into just his boxers and Shino's jacket before collapsing back into his bed. Shino seemed more productive then he did, actually changing himself into proper pyjamas and cleaning up the room.

And Artemis's favourite part. The moment Shino slipped into bed with him and pulled him into a hug, his head resting into the crook of his neck as he smiled widely. "I love you" Artemis would tiredly whisper to him, caressing his jaw slightly as he saw Shino smile warmly out of the corner of his eye. "I love you too, so much, if you're still in any pain when we wake up i'll be here to make breakfast" Shino responded, his voice hush and sweet making Arti's heart flutter. "You're so cute"

That was the last thing Artemis had said before falling asleep, with the warmth of Shino's still rather flushed skin and his faint heartbeat he couldn't fight staying up longer.

It was sad Shino was a liar, sometimes his almost two different lives could never co-exist and one would always come back to ruin a moment with the other. Shino was disturbed awake by his phone ringing, Flex's contact blaring on the screen. "That's odd.. Flex hasn't contacted me since the whole Kol thing.." Shino mumbled to himself, slipping away from a snoring Artemis who lay fast asleep under fluffy blankets.

Artemis was confused when he woke up alone that day, despite Shino's promise to be there with him his bed was empty as if what had happened last night was only a one night stand and his fling had left in the morning instead of loosing your virginity with your long-term boyfriend who you adored. Shino had left in the night to meet Flex for some 'vigilante discussions', aka relapsing in his now 'retired' L.O.V.E missions.

Artemis tried not to take it to heart. Maybe Shino couldn't sleep well and wanted to sleep in his own bed? So he fought past the ache in his legs to get himself dressed for school, making sure he looked presentable so nobody notices anything. But his stomach dropped when he saw Shino asleep on the couch in the morning. He had left in the night to sleep on the couch? Was the couch more preferable than being with him?

It ate him alive inside, maybe the sex was awful and now Shino was absolutely repulsed by him and wanted to break up with him the moment he woke up. What he thought would be a moment in their relationship he would think back to and flush and fantasise about suddenly became sickly, anxious and nauseating. It didn't help that when Shino did actually wake up the two didn't particularly speak much.