One;

• Dedicated to Chris

One of the perks of summer vacation is sleeping in, something you could never do during the school year. And I know many kids are waking up throwing on swimsuits, calling their friends to come over, or packing to go away. But I wasn't any of those people, today I am staying in the comfort of my bed.

"Chloe." My eyes shot open hearing my name being called. When there was a long pause I figured it must've been my paranoia.

"Chloe!" I heard it again and a few seconds later my little sister of seven years old busted into my room.

"What? I told you specifically not to mess with me." I sat up shooting daggers at her.

She rolls her eyes. "Oh relax, I wouldn't want to bother you even if my life depended on it. Jen is downstairs wanting to hang out with you."

"Hang out with me?" I looked at the alarm clock on my nightstand reading the numbers 8:47 in the morning.

My little sister, Charlotte who I call Charlie laughs. "I know, who'd want to hang out with you?"

"You have two seconds to get out of my room before I throw you through a wall." I threatened her.

She giggles before running out of the room and just two seconds later my best friend, Jen comes in the room. "Why are you still in bed? It's the first day of summer and you want to sleep."

"Yes and I told you that. As a matter of fact I told everyone that so why are you guys doing the opposite?"

"Get over it, come on. Let's go to the mall and do some shopping. There's some party tonight and we got invited."

I shook my head. "I hate parties. You know I never go to them."

"You hate everything," She states and walks over to my side trying to yank the covers off of me, but I held onto them for dear life. "Now get your ass out of this bed before I roll you out."

"No."

"Fine, then I'll go downstairs and tell your dad you want to spend today with him."

I groaned and got out of bed, she smiles in victory. "Okay, you win."

I roamed through my closets and found a pair of jean shorts and matched it with a black and white stripped shirt. Changing in front of Jen wasn't awkward at all she's my best friend and we've had gym class together. I nod my head yes when she asks me if I'm ready and the both of us go down the stairs.

"Dad, Jen and I are going to the mall." I poke my head in the living room to see my father sitting in front of the television.

He looks back and smiles. "Alright, be careful and please nothing too showy."

I make no promises and leave out the door and hop in the passenger seat of her car. You know that saying overprotective parents makes a rebel child? Well this is how the old saying goes, but it's not like I sneak out every night and get drunk and lie to my father. Every now and then I'd just slip into a flashy dress and go to a party but don't touch a drink or any drugs at all. I do have self control.

Besides Charlie, I am his little girl just as much as she is and he just wants me to stay on the right path, but he doesn't need to remind me. I am wise for my age and I know what I'm doing. I know what's right and what's wrong. And secretly, I think that he thinks Jen could be a bad influence for me but she isn't. She's my best friend and her job is to make sure I have fun living in these teenage years of mine and she's done a good job.

"Whose party is it?" I ask.

"Zayn's."

"He always has parties, he's annoying."