Chapter 16.

I am sleeping so well. I change position to check the time. Good, it's only 11:00 AM. "Oh shit!"

I wake up all of a sudden. I am late. As I start to change, I feel anxiety eating me- perfect way to start my first day of work. Great.

I accepted to work for a family, which thanks to the help of my father, I managed to get the job. So I'll have to find something elegant. A white shirt, with normal jeans will be fine. The problem is they are too tight. It was not a wise choice, especially if it highlights my shapes. Whatever, it's too late to come back. I rush in the garage, and I pedal as fast as I can.

As soon as I arrive, I walk uncomfortable and embarrassed. The lady doesn't even notice it, on the contrary she gives me a good and warm welcome. She does the home tour. I can say that it's really huge. There are many rooms, most of which are almost empty. For this reason I have never liked big houses. There is always the risk of not knowing what to put in it. Even if I had one, I would fill it with various artistic decorations or rather turn into a big library, where I can spend my days in peace. Also I can understand how wealthy this family is. They have nice chandeliers decorated with diamonds to make all them so precious. But those were nothing. Enteringthe dining room, I notice the long table. Thus also various huge windows positioned behind it. This makes the room light up, even too much. In fact the lady draws large curtains to diminish that brightness.

Looking around, I can glimpse a big fireplace. I imagine how beautiful it can be here in winter. While it's cold outside, you have a chance to warm up to it. Especially with a nice cup of hot chocolate or have fun melting marshmallows, and eating them with biscuits. In short, as if it were a campsite. It would be indeed a wonderful Christmas. You can invite many people, because space allows you. On the contrary, I have a small house. So my mother has always set out to have a limit. I mean, she's right. I am of the opinion that the fewer people there are, the more you have fun. At least you're really with whom you love. Instead in large places may give you a feeling of loneliness.

"As you can see the house is big." She smiles, laughing silently. "Try not to get lost."

"Are you the mother of the children?" I ask looking around.

"I'm Jamie, the housekeeper." She is making various hand gestures, I feel her being nervous. "So if you need anything don't hesitate to ask me."

She keeps on showing the rest of the house. Crossing a huge corridor, we end up on the large stairs.

"The Harrison family are important people." She says as we climb the stairs.

I can't stop looking around, everything is so rare. Also on the wall of the stairs, I can see every photo of the family member. Each has its own beauty and elegance. Everyone seems to me to be kind and polite. I understand it from their smiles. I hope to find myself well. Especially with children. In fact today is a test day. The reason is that previously, there have been others to tutor. But no one could control the kids, or make them concentrate on studying. Parents being very busy, cannot pay much attention to them. Plus they care about their education. So besides having lessons at school, they want them to take extra hours to study, it is a way for them to be productive I guess? They even have to attend classes during summertime. And that's what I will do. I help them not only to study, but I also have to babysit them. Which I didn't ask to, my intention is to give only private lessons. Unfortunately it is the only option for me to earn something.

"Thomas Harrison is the father of the children." She pauses as if she was expecting me to know him. I have no clue, honestly. "He's a successful man."

She's boasting by saying, "He's a genius of finance."

"About their mother?" I ask gently.

She looks at me confused, as she was expecting me to know them. I mean from their house and its style, I have already understood that they are people with great reputation. So I don't comprehend why she should react that way.

"She's a director of a company that produces films." She says without staring at me. "Her name is Merlyn Harrison, a very sweet and smart lady." I already feel tired, these stairs are endless.

Once up, I am surprised by another long corridor. There are other portraits on the walls. There are various armchairs with statues nearby. One of which is Cesare, the famous Roman dictator or others like Dante Alighieri. I can already understand that they are lovers of history, and of Italian literature. Furthermore, what makes this house beautiful is the Victorian style- all the furniture and objects are ancient.