Chapter 29.

The problem is...

I just can't think of anything else tonight. I remain in the press that expression when I left him alone. I won't forgive him for making me feel ridiculous. Also, I should stop staring at the phone. Maybe it's because he's bombarding me with messages. So in order not to create problems, I eliminate his contact. But it doesn't solve this frustration of mine. I mean, It's normal for me to feel this way. After all, he was the first guy who made me explore my feelings.

'Why can't I get you out of my head?'

Consequently I spontaneously open Instagram after four years. I'm looking for his account. It comes out on the first page, he has a lot of followers. It has reached nearly ten millions, although he doesn't post much. He only has three photos. Reading the comments, I can see how many people are interested in him, wondering if he's in relationship or not, while some bringing hate towards the mysterious girl who danced with him in the rain, which is me. They categorize me as those classic girls hungry for money and popularity, an attention seeker. Well, I can't blame them. They don't even know who I am. The only one who knows is James. And that's exactly what makes me angry. He could at least make up and say that I was just a friend, but he seems to be ashamed to hang out with someone from a different class. But that day, I felt he was different...

'I like rainy days, they're a great chance for me to take off my mask.'

Those words make my heart speed more and more. Especially when I keep thinking, 'How can I be someone else when I am who I am?'

That's enough!

I pick up the phone and look for his contact. In the end, I didn't delete it.

Those frustrations disappear as soon as he says, "Iris?"

Obviously I don't reply to that, I just go straight to the point.

"I accept your apology." I sigh touching my forehead. "But on one condition. You will have to start following what you want, because if you don't, you will regret it one day."

I walk around my room. "It isn't fame or celebrity to define you. But who you feel you are. Nothing else should matter."

Silence falls.

I close my eyes, I shouldn't have called him. Big mistake, now suffer Iris. "Are you free tomorrow night? I know you have class with Nancy and Daniel, but still, are you?"

I sit on my bed, I didn't expect such a response. "James, did you hear what I've just said?"

"Yeah, perfectly." He says rather calmly. "And you're right, so, are you free?"

Unbelievable. "Goodnight, James."

He deserves a little bit of suspense, there's no rush to hang out, right? Enough has happened today.

Anyway, let's move on to the next day. Before going to Nancy and Daniel, I head to the mall to pick up a dress for my mother. I have never liked shops, especially when I find myself in front of the Victoria's Secret. From the reflection of the glass, I can glimpse the old Iris judging herself. I'm sorry for how unconscious of what she was worth. I realize how much I've changed. So having time, I decide to go in. I'm looking for those lingeries that I've always wanted to buy. Plus how many mental movies I've made. I imagined people's eyes pointed in my direction, when in reality they are minding their own business. Seeing some happy girls try on some satin cami dresses gives me the confidence to participate too.

All of a sudden, I feel someone tapping my shoulder.

Turning around I see a girl that asks, "How do you keep in shape, like, your legs are just the way I want. Do you have any advice or tricks? Like look at mine, they're horrible!"

I don't reply immediately. Someone who's complimenting for my body? My legs, they are literally like sticks. What's great about them?

"Actually I have not tips, or anything like that." I say nervously but with a smile, I add, "I guess, you have to love yourself for who you are."

She is not satisfied, in fact she leaves me. And only at that moment I recognize one of my high school classmates. She's what everyone calls a whale. Without saying hi, I come closer to her while I keep my gaze focused on the clothes. She suddenly recognizes me, and tries to get out of my presence. But I stop by touching her shoulder.

"Please, don't make fun of me, I wasn't about to buy it nor did I have the intention of-"

Handing her dress she was looking at, I respond, "Take it blue."

She sighs and ends up smiling. "Why aren't you laughing at me?"

"Because I learned from my mistake and want to be a better person." I respond smiling back. "So, what you say, should I take this red or black?"

She smiles, her eyes sparkle. "Definitely black."

"I agree." I say encouraging her to look for herself more things without feeling judged and uncomfortable.

Once I paid my stuff, I head to the exit but I am blocked by someone who says, "Oh, look, what I see here."

It's Nikki.

"A traitor who unfortunately I can't remember her name." She says looking at me furiously, especially when she notices my purchase.

In fact she snatches it from my hand. "Iris, I now accept your apologies and your mistakes. I didn't expect you would really think of me."

"Give it back to me Nikki." I respond annoyed while crossing my arms. I didn't remember her being so immature. "C'mon."

She gazes me confused. She noticed a change in me. But that doesn't let her stop being a bitch. So she throws it in the air, as soon as she replies, "As you wish."