Chapter 80.

When we get back, Nancy is the first one who comes to meet me. She runs quickly, and when she stands in my direction, I pick her up. She embraces me tightly, and in doing so I glimpse Daniel. From his face, I can understand that he would like to join us, but the unexpected presence of his brother prevents him. So once I put my little cupcake down, James doesn't hesitate to ask her to bring him a towel. Instead, he advises me to sit on the sofa and relax.

After that, he goes to the kitchen to prepare I don't know what. But it's a relief, because I can have time to talk to Daniel.

"Are you okay, Daniel?" I ask in a sweet tone. He doesn't answer, he just gazes at the floor. "You know you can talk to me, right?"

I show him a smile as soon as I see his face.

"It's nothing." He answers uncertainly. "What happened to Nikki? She'll be fine, right?"

"I'm sure she will be fine." And smiling, I add, "Come here, sit with me."

"I know you signaled us to go upstairs." Taking a deep breath, he informs "But I could not leave you alone to listen to those things, so I kept you company standing on the stairs."

Seeing that I don't reply, he suddenly asks "Are you angry with me?"

And when I look up, I nod him no. "Instead I am grateful that you have been close to me. But these are delicate things, that a child-"

"You think just because I am a stupid kid I can't understand things?" He gets up and says angrily, "You think like them in the end. That I don't understand. But I do, more than you all think."

He goes out into the garden, to observe the dark, keeping his head pointed upwards. I get up slowly but the instant I do, I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry, Iris. I'll take care of him." James' words push me to sit again.

I give him a smile as he continues to say, "You should only think about resting, and drinking tea before it cools down."

He touches my cheek, and finally my chin as he slowly approaches my lips to kiss me. "Is this okay James?"

We turn around at Nancy's embarrassed reaction. She is really adorable. She also has already put on her pajamas which depicts all the Disney princesses. And while I dry my hair with the towel, it is there that I see for the first time, the two Harrison brothers who, despite not speaking, I sense in both happiness. I think Daniel loves James very much, which is why it is difficult for him to open up with him. And the moment I politely ask Nancy to set the table, I hear little voices coming from the garden. I smile as I see them slowly, conversing. So I let them enjoy this space of theirs, as Daniel has always looked for in him. And to see him smiling, as soon as he keeps his gaze on his dear brother, finally present, I am moved.

So with a big sigh, I prepare dinner. And as always, Nancy's company helps turn it all back into a magical place. She observes that I cook carefully, making her taste everything I do, just to know some of her opinions. At some point, someone interrupts our scene. I laugh, as James picks Nancy up, making her get off the kitchen cabinet. At first she didn't like it but then for some reason she gets the message. She leaves me alone in the company of her brother.

"Daniel misses you a lot, James."

And hugging me from behind, he replies, "We talked a bit, and seeing him conversing that way, I don't know...I deserve the title as the worst brother."

I turn around and moving a few clumps of hair from his forehead, I respond, "Don't say that. Daniel considers you as his role model. You should forget about that title."