Chapter 40.

Slowly other guests, including most family members join. Everyone is happy, and curious about what me and Jamie had cooked. It's a mixture of Italian and Mexican delicacies. Sometimes as a child I learned to cook from mom, at least the basics. Everything was through observation. She always told me that observing is an added advantage to learn. The rest is all about practice. For this reason by observing her, I have the pleasure of cooking for people.

The moment Nancy sees everyone sit down and start eating, she stands on her chair. She holds a glass, and a spoon as a means of attracting people's attention. Her parents see her confused, and at the same time happy of what she is about to announce. She is practically thanking her parents who, despite their commitments, still attended the party. Plus those who came. Finally a person she loves, and whom considers as an oldest sister. In fact she signals me to stand up. And without embarrassment, I get up and hug her.

As soon as I sit down I notice Jamie whispering me, "Can you take those drinks and dishes to the table? Please? Thank you."

The moment I head to the kitchen, I see a familiar figure. His style is different from the other days. Its theme is a simple shirt and jeans with white vans, making him equally beautiful, and what to say...it suits him. It's Arthur that hands Jamie the gift for Nancy.

"Iris? It's really a coincidence to see you again." His voice has a weird effect. Maybe I'm still not used to hearing it. But one thing is certain, it makes me laugh.

So instantly I ask, "I know, right? We should stop meeting each other this way, unexpectedly."

"Why? I like unexpected things." He says smiling. "Don't you?"

"Not really." I respond taking those various drinks out of fridge. "By the way, how are you doing?"

"I'm fine. I mean, definitely much better than you." I didn't expect that answer.

"See that's why I don't like unexpected things, you have no idea how to react." I reply turning around. "So how am I supposed to respond? Like, what you mean, much better than you?"

Why do I sound pissed off? Maybe I know who he's referring to.

He gives me a half-smile. "If I was you, I would run away from James, or rather as soon as possible."

"Can you please explain me why are you saying all this to me?" I ask him in a cold tone.

He doesn't respond, he just drinks. "Arthur!"

"When I saw you with him at that restaurant, I thought immediately, poor girl, she has no idea what she gotten herself into." He asks positioning himself slowly towards me. "Iris, if you ain't a thing yet, you should consider staying away from him, he can be dangerous."

And looking straight into my eyes, he adds, "Trust me."

"I trust nobody." I say watching him coldly.

"It's true what they say, love is blind, and you are colorblind." He responds moving away. "You may have understood already that he's a huge red flag but yeah, of course, love can fix everything, that you can change him."

"But who's going to fix your heart once it's broken by the person you yourself loved and cared?" He asks putting a cigarette in his mouth. "Certainly not him."

I stand still and watch him lighting that cigarette as he heads to the patio. "Iris, are you alright?"

Jamie touches my shoulder. "Sure."

Although we're not done clearing out things, I'm getting ready to go home. I mean it was Merlyn who convinced me, otherwise I would have gladly stayed and helped them.

But as I find myself outside the house, Thomas stops me. "These days my wife and I have decided to take Nancy and Daniel to the beach in California for a couple of days. If you want, you are welcome to participate."

That invitation cheers me up, wiping Arthur's words off my head, even if I don't know what answer to give him. So I just say, "I will let you know, but thank you for thinking of me."

After that I rejoice happily towards my car. "Hey, Iris, day off tomorrow?"

"Are you serious, Arthur?" I retort turning around. "I mean a little while ago you warned me about James and now, all of a sudden, you ask me if I have a day off tomorrow, like, what's wrong with you people?"

My eyes widen, especially when silence falls. Why am I mad?

I look up when I hear him laughing. "You're right. But mine was just an advice, because I know James, all too well. I'm just telling you to be careful with him."

My breathe gets heavy. "He's a tough guy, and hard to handle. You never know what's going on inside his head."

"Are you talking about me, you piece of shit?" James asks as he closes his car door. "You knew that Iris would be here to celebrate Nancy's birthday, so you had to come, to purposely brainwashing her didn't you? I know exactly what your intentions are."

I turn around and see him in a suit, he's colder than ever. "Iris, get in the car."

Something's not going right. "Did you hear me Iris? I said, get in the car."

"See, that's what I'm talking about." Arthur says standing next to me. "James, why don't you go and wish your little sister happy birthday? If you want to manipulate Iris and convince her that you're a good guy, at least do it well."

I jump slightly in fright the instant James comes towards him ready to punch him. "Stop it! Both of you."

I hear Arthur laughing. "No, Iris, this is the best part. You need to see what he's capable of, this time is me, next could be you."

What the hell? Besides why now? "Enough, Arthur!"

I take James's hand and push him to follow me. "Keep in mind what I've told you Iris!"

As we get in the car, James says, "Sorry if I'm late. I had an unexpected event. I had to go back to the movie set."

"First of all, don't apologize to me. Apologize rather to Nancy." I respond staring at him badly. "And second of all, what the heck?"

"Don't mind what Arthur says, he's doing all this to provoke me." He replies starting the engine. "Yeah, we're cousins sadly, but, we don't get along very well. He always desired to put me down and now, he found the easiest way to do so."

He turns around and adds, "It's you."

We don't talk during my way home. On the contrary I remain staring at the window. I mean, he would like to talk to me, but something encourages him not to. I suddenly get distracted as James turns on the radio, to immediately concentrate driving again. But it is not the radio that he has put. I hear a compilation of someone playing the piano.

Each note is delicate, I guess due to the touch of the person playing Spring Waltz in a really profound way.