Chapter 17.

Once the door is knocked, I enter one of the kids' rooms. It's huge. There are lots of toys including a giant dollhouse. The bed is double with numerous pillows and blankets. And as usual, there are other photos. But of a blond-haired girl with amber eyes. Her skin makes me understand how delicate she is, which makes her beautiful and innocent.

"She's eight, very mature for her age." Jamie says taking some cloths on the bed. "In a few weeks it's going to be her birthday. You will be invited as well, a great opportunity to meet her parents."

"Her name is Nancy, and she loves to hide." She says coming closer to me. "She's really shy."

I don't pay attention to her words. I try to find that little girl instead.

"Nobody managed to melt her shyness. I warn you that she does not speak, very often it's hard to understand her." She hints but with a smile, she also adds "Good luck young lady."

In the meantime I'm in search of Nancy, I think about the next meeting with her parents. That thought worries me. Because I don't know how I should behave. Of course I will be myself. The problem is when it comes to wealthy people, they are typically ready to judge, just like Nikki's family. I once went at her house, I remember her father spoiling her a lot. While the mother considered her as a jewel. In fact she let her do whatever she wanted. Without even talking to me, they had immediately judged me.

"Nancy, come on out." I sigh. "We can continue playing if you want, but I need to see you."

Maybe she just wants to play. Consequently I propose to converse while we could play hide and seek. I will ask her simple questions, such as what she likes to do, or what dreams she has. Nothing worked. Well, I can say that today is not my day. For a few seconds, the only thing I hear is silence, It's getting creepy. I get up and cautiously, take back my purse from the bed. On the table I see some tiny cups. I have an idea.

I sit down and I begin to pretend to prepare tea. I have never played with such stuff. I remember that as a child, very often I played outside in the garden with my father. Especially to live in the world of warriors and dragons. So they were moments in which I was able to invent new adventures. That's why keeping fake cups and glasses makes me feel different. But it is not an excuse not to try something new. In fact, with elegance I try to drink tea.

"I wish you could taste this Nancy! It's amazing." I look around.

Obviously it is a way to encourage her to come out. Which if she didn't, the drink would immediately cool down. In that instant, I sense a presence going out somewhere. I don't mind, I'm too busy pretending to drink. To convince her more, I also pretend to talk to someone. Suddenly a figure appears looking at me with perplexity. She has a nice blue dress, knee-length, wearing red ballerinas. That's weird, from the photo her hair looks longer. Maybe she will have cut them. I can't admit, she is really cute. Furthermore, analyzing her well, she does not seem to be eight. More than anything else, I would have mistaken her for one of four, or five. Perhaps for her small height, which makes her really adorable. Especially those red cheeks. And that's how I understand, she may have a sensitive skin. All this makes her truly like a doll, in particular that red bow which holds her braid tight. I remember bringing it often too. Whenever my hair got longer, my mother gathered it with a bow.

"Which tea do you want? Sadly I only have passion fruit and strawberry bag." I smile at her.

She indicates my favorite flavor. I happily pour her it. When she drinks it, she keeps her eyes on mine. Once finished it, she looks down pointing to a book on her right. I think she wants me to read it, so I take it and start leafing some pages.

"Do you like Charles Dickens?" I am full of emotions as I understand she likes to read too.

"I love him, I read almost most of his books." She doesn't seem to care. Instead she limits herself staring at the pages. I don't know if I should feel bad or not...I have to confess, I am not good with kids.

"So shall we start?" I ask smiling, even more happily the moment she nods. "Okay then, let's travel!"

I am reading David Copperfield. It's a story about a boy who after having gone through thousand misfortunes, including his stepfather, finally finds his way. So did his success, eventually marrying a girl, who secretly fell in love with him long before he was married.