Chapter 99.

I didn't expect the Harrisons, especially Thomas, to be so serious. I mean when I first met him, his appearance made him a tough and cold man. I immediately understood it from his eyes and from how he did not often show his smiley face. But when I spoke to him, as well as with Merlyn, they both had really sweet and serene attitudes and ways. Perhaps that happens when they present themselves to the outside world, therefore at home, they have a role to respect, forgetting in turn their position and consequently being just two simple parents.

This is really surprising, because despite both having great reputations, behind the doors of their home, they have a completely different life. Let's say much simpler, and this as I said to James, it's not money, fame or popularity that defines a person. The problem is also due to social media, which depict them as perfect and unreal figures- but they forget, they are also human. But I can say that Thomas and Merlyn are good parents despite the criticism they may receive every day. And it's the same with James.

Last night like Nancy, unable to sleep, I checked my phone for a while. Going into his Instagram account, or let's say what people post in general, I noticed that he is getting a lot of hate. All this only because he is dating...me. Therefore they hammered him with bad phrases, calling him a cheater and a liar who uses girls only as an object to satisfy his pleasure. The thing that struck me is how fast people judge, even without currently knowing the story behind. Instead, most of them harassed him by hypothesizing false theories. All to defend that innocent and angelic Corinne, who, from how I met her, is a completely different person. More than anything else, they have no concrete evidence to judge James that way. I know him well and he would never be what they say...

Suddenly a little voice calls me. "Are you angry with me, Iris?"

I look around. I realized that I am already in the hospital and from the expression of the lady at the reception I understand that she is losing patience. So stammering, I answer "I-I'm not, sweetie."

After receiving the confirmation, I take Nancy's hand and we both move finally to Nikki. Seeing that I am not speaking, she thinks that I am really angry with her. And that's why she stops, looking down. "Hey, let's go...Nikki will be waiting for us."

I'm not really convincing her, so I pick her up. I am amazed how she takes that opportunity to hug me. "Sorry if I disappointed you, now you may not be my friend anymore."

Smiling I reply "Don't say that. I'll always be your friend no matter what happens." Also to reassure her, I add "I'm a little sad that I see you twos being like that, but I could never be disappointed."

"I acted without thinking." She continues by saying "But he started to spy by saying that I went down to the room, when he knows very well that we are forbidden to go."

Being realist, I say "I understand your reasons." She immediately changes her face as I respond, "But put yourself in Daniel's shoes. Dancing means a lot to him and that's why he defends himself."

Removing a clumps of hair from her forehead, I also specify, "Because he knows that if your parents find it out, he risks getting in trouble."

"He always gets in trouble." She informs explaining, "He is a bully at school. I saw him doing it with his groups of friends."

She concludes by adding "He is good compared to them but for fear of them excluding him, he says he must be like them if he wants to have friends."

"Fake friends." I notify in a dry tone. "This is why, it must be one more reason to understand him. I'm sure your support, being his sister, will help him a lot as he grows up."

When I want to add something else, my vision is aimed at two truly familiar figures. I have become a bundle of nerves, catching them in this place conveys an absurd negativity. Especially as soon as they recognize me. They look at me with contempt and that's how I understand that something is not going well. Perhaps also because of the distance, it is possible for me to examine every detail of them. Instead what falls in between is the presence of other people. So it is no longer possible for me to properly examine their expressions. I don't know but I have a presentiment that Nikki's parents symbolize the past, people the present and I the future, that is to erase with their daughter what has caused her pain.