Chapter 104.

"Arthur!" Daniel exclaims holding the last piece of meat in his fork. "What are you doing here? Is dad looking for me?"

Arthur didn't expect to see his little cousin. So does my mother, but who greets him anyway by placing her hand on his hair, messing it up a little.

"No, Daniel. He knows you're here." Arthur says as he shakes my dad's hand. "But he wants you home, it's getting late. That's why I'm here."

"Do I have to come back?" Daniel asks with a sad face but as he looks at his cousin's serious expression leaves him no choice. "Okay..."

"But before we leave, I need to talk to Iris. So wait for me here, okay? It's going to be quick." Arthur says while heading slowly outside. "Iris?"

Being unsure whether to join him or not, I stay for a few minutes in the same spot. "Iris, you can go. We'll take care of here."

In order not to leave Daniel alone, my parents sit down again, trying to come up with topics that might entertain him. So seeing them laughing gives me so much joy, so it's easy for me to go out into the garden without stopping to smile. But being silent, positioning myself next to Arthur, I immediately erase that expression. And like him I just look down, but as I do it, he sighs as he observes the night sky.

"It would be nice if the city lights went out, think how many stars there might be."

I don't answer soon. Perhaps his tone prevents me, it has something mysterious about it. By taking a deep breath, I ask "What do you have to tell me?"

And staring at him well, I add "I looked for you last night, but you didn't answer or let me know anything."

"Sorry, I had some business to attend to, you know how it is...fall is nearby." And putting his hands in the pockets, he says "It is time for me to return to my routine with my father, as you will for Princeton."

"Well that doesn't explain the exact reason why you're here." I reply irritably. I see him that he is again aiming his sight on the ground, I think so as not to meet my eyes. "How come are you like this?"

"I saw you this morning in the hospital quite thoughtfully, and so I thought-" I stop him immediately.

"It's not about him, if that's what you want to know." I roll my eyes, crossing my arms. I'm so tired of having to repeat the same things. "Now I'm busy with things that are more important than having to-"

"I better keep my distance. I don't want to accumulate more problems." I look at him confused, but he doesn't notice it, all due to the presence of that hat that prevents me from examining his face. "I should have warned you of James' intentions first."

"And why didn't you do it? So I could fuck him off, after days that he didn't even make himself heard." I reply annoyed, trying to stay calm, particularly when I mention "Instead as usual, I'm programmed to have to find out the truth on my own."

"I told you when we were in the car that things would settle down in the right time." And with a smile, he continues hinting "And as usual, I see that he is always the one doing the bullshit, which apparently when he intends to solve it, instead it means nothing more than to ignore."

But lighting a cigarette, he adds "But he just lost you by doing so." Throwing out the smoke, he highlights "I think it's the right thing for both of you. Especially for you."

"After all that has happened, don't dare to think you know what is right for me." I dare to reply, immediately stating "The only one that worries me in this case is you. James is just a jerk and selfish that instead of taking care of his girlfriend, disappears dramatically for days."