The Russian Waltz

Not historically accurate but I'd love to make it a book—
Outfit references at the bottom. The song they dance to is called... The... Russian Waltz...
If you didn't get that already :)
this takes place in 17th century France so your mommy is Marie Antoinette (silly goose tings)

[ Y/n ]

"Hmm... The corset... Can you not make it tighter?"

"Mother are you trying to break my ribs?"

"If that's what it takes to make you fit into this dress than I suppose so."

I scowled and stared at myself in the mirror. The life of a royal, one would typically find such a life luxurious. Enjoyable, even. Yet this is not at all enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, I love the dresses, the tea parties, the admiration. It's just tonight that I am not going to enjoy. A picture of my suitor was stuck to the mirror.

A picture that he sent. How self centered...

I gasped at the tightness of the corset, looking back at my mother. "Good." She smiled.

.  .  .

I was in the music room, where Boris would come meet me. There was a knock at the door, making me turn. It opened and in walked the boy. He was tall and quite frail... But handsome.

In our letter to each other he is quite crude, dumb, and very shallow. He often brings up my family's past wars. Most of which caused thousands of innocent lives. "Good evening." he offered me his hand. I took it and he brought it up to my lips. "Apologies for lateness... The women here are quite intriguing. The gypsies are all quite beautiful. Are they not?"

"They are... But they prefer not to be sexualized or called gypsies. My people are more than some silly slur."

He smiled and nodded. "Right, you are just as feisty as they say... I guess the French princess really is one of a kind." I nodded and he gave me a small bow. "Well then I hope Russia gets to be the country unified with France."

"The only reason I'd marry you is so your country does not slaughter my people like you do with others."

Boris looked up and stepped closer to me. "I do not need blood to conquer countries and dynasties. I am much smarter than my father."

He kissed my cheek as he pulled away and one of the knights notified me that Boris and I were summoned. We nodded and I took his arm. "We are to share a kiss at the bottom. If you have forgotten we are a couple. Whether you like it or not." He was right, a passionate kiss was expected from us. As a sign that we truly loved each other and our countries would unify.

We got to the top of the stairs and the announcer bowed to us. "Ladies and gentlemen, may the Y/l/n and the Pavlikovsky dynasties welcome the to-be-wed's, Grand Duke Boris of Russia and princess Y/n of France!" We walked downstairs and the music continued. The crowd turned to us and I saw my mother and father's eyes on me.

We got to the bottom of the stairs and everyone watched intently to see if we would kiss. Boris looked at me for a moment before leaning in and connecting our lips. There was clapping, cheering, and glass breaking all around. Boris pulled away and we looked at each other for a moment before I looked away.