XXXIX

˜”*°• Imperial Majesty •°*”˜

"As expected..."

"Something's amiss."

Both ladies-in-waiting stared at their Empress, who was currently in dazed.

"Your majesty..."

The Countess' words broke her out from her thoughts, which earned her attention.

"Did his majesty say something?"

Slowly they neared her, patiently waiting for her answer.

"No, he just...didn't have much say about the matter."

With sulking eyes, she replied. And her ladies-in-waiting stared at eachother for moment before stating,

"If he hadn't said anything, I'm sure you wouldn't look as gloomy as you do, your majesty."

"It's okay! Please tell us, your majesty, so we can be prepared as well!"

They both smiled and reassured her, knowing she couldn't leave them with nothing, she spoke.

"His majesty said the girl was accidentally caught in one of his traps. He said she's not a runaway slave, and that he only brought her back to make sure she's nursed back to full health as it was only proper that he did."

"But he was also displeased that I continued to ask about it." Navier added.

"What?!"

"—!"

"Now, now..."

"Your majesty! That's exactly how my father behaved in the early stages of his affair."

Laura bursted, which startled the Empress, fuming as she continued to talk.

"No ifs, ands, ors, buts about it! That's exactly how men behave early on when they began to cheat! And one of the telltale signs is when they become defensive and begin to raise their voices!"

"..."

"If he's only doing what's proper, what could possibly displease him about discussing the matter?!"

Rubbing her arm, Countess Eliza tried to soothe an angry Laura, which worked, "Now, now. I think you should go outside and cool your head, Laura."

The lady-in-waiting help the ginger haired girl walk out of the room to fetch a clearing of her head.

"Your majesty. Come, a fragrant cup of tea could soothe you."

Navier's thoughts then wondered about how she felt with the current matter. Countess Eliza's words drifted out of her mind.

Why does she feel like that?

She knew her marriage with the Emperor was merely of convenience, her own mother even told her that she shouldn't fret when it comes to times like this.

Even if the Emperor has mistresses, they are merely at that. They wouldn't stand against her.

She's the Empress, after all.

And it's not as if she and Sovieshu were a pair of star-crossed lovers

But...

"Why is it that I feel so hollow inside? In theory, I should be fine..."

Countess Eliza gave out a small smile and sincerely comforted her troubles, telling her she was betrothed to him at a young age, it was only natural that she felt that way.

And knowing that if the slave were to become his majesty's concubine, she would not be able to frequent places of business or social circles.

Navier figured that her lady-in-waiting was right and that if anything were to happen, she  was only one who could be Empress.

That's right, no matter what happens, she should always remain the image of an Empress, both her and (Y/n) were trained to become one.

She shouldn't let a mere thought of a slave bring her down.

"Speaking of Empress, has her majesty, Empress (Y/n) received an invitation for the upcoming New Year's celebration?"

"Yes, your highness. I heard from the Emperor's secretary that his majesty personally wrote the invitation himself."

She hummed, thinking nothing of it. But it was albeit strange but not completely, (Y/n) was a childhood friend of theirs.

'I wonder how'd she react if Sovieshu were to have a mistress...'

Piere halted his tracks facing the (h/c)-nette, "The Baron has been quite inactive for a while, I wonder if we should check up on him?"

"That Baron is not important anyways, so why bother."

The Duke sat down and placed the document on the table.

"You've been cranky lately, is it that time of the mo—"

"Your majesty."

"How's everything doing?"

"As you have requested, the knight has reported no signs of any suspicious activities in the Empire, your majesty."

Piere smiled, "Well, they are certainly dumber than we thought."

"Or maybe we're just so good at being discreet?"

"Maybe."

(Y/n) scribbled her name and signature on to the last parchment, sighing out once she was done.

"I'm slowly getting used to this. What else has she reported?"

"Nothing else, just their steady movements, your majesty."

She then waved a hand and nodded, "Alright, thank you, you're dismissed."

The guard nodded and gave a respectful bow, leaving the room to the Empress and her secretary.

"How long do we need to wait?"

"You heard what was reported, we have all the time in the world."

"And what if they find out?"

(Y/n) stared at the letter, its list of things to do had some been crossed out, meaning it was already done.

Leaving two more things left undone.

"If they ever do find out..."

.

.

.

"Then we'll have to just get them from the inside."