CXLIII

˜”*°• Imperial Majesty •°*”˜

"Eh? P-Pardon?"

Laura had her eyes wide at the foreign woman's question, and a small gasp left her lips.

"What is your relationship with with my cousin— Piere?"

Her pretty freckled face looked stunned— then it suddenly burst a bright red colour. Quickly, she stammered.

"O-Oh! It's n-nothing of what sorts you are thinking, y-your majesty! I swear!"

"Oh? Kindly elaborate, my lady."

"Ah— well..."

Her emerald eyes averted themselves and on to the floor it gazes. A trickle of sweat appeared on her forehead as she struggled to find the words to explain herself in front of the Empress.

"Well..." The ginger-nette began, "His grace and I simply kept on bumping into each other."

One encounter, however, was her bumping on to him— literally.

"And when those encounters happen, I always happen to be running an errand for her majesty, and Duke Caldwell would always offer his assistance. O-Of course, I would decline his offer, but he would always insist."

(E/c) eyes observed the girl, as the lady-in-waiting had her stare focus on to the floor. But there was a very— almost unnoticeable— look of fondness in her features while she spoke.

"..."

"So, I let him." Laura muttered, "I don't feel like I had a choice anyway..."

"Hm?"

"W-We're merely strangers that would happen to bump into each other, with him constantly h-helping me each time."

"I see..."

(Y/n) nodded at her words. It seems like Piere was just lending a hand out to her— which was weird.

Usually he holds no care for absolutely no one, apart from his Empress, and that he'll just turn a blind eye to anything that's deemed not worth his time.

'Could she have bewitched him perhaps?'

Her hand held her chin, appearing to be deep in thought.

In front of her, the orange haired lady-in-waiting gulped, her eyes now met with (e/c) ones.

Her grip on her skirt tightened. As she awaits the words that might not sound pleasing to the ears.

'Is she even capable of doing such magic?'

Narrowed (e/c) eyes intently stared into green. 'But I don't sense any magic on her... No... Is she able to hide it?'

'How though?'

"..."

A breath was released out of her lips, she leaned back in her spot and made a conclusion.

"My reason for calling you, was to know what type of relationship you've made with my secretary. But as it turns out... I don't think that's the right question I should be asking..."

The foreign woman muttered the last sentence— only for her ears to hear— which earned her a confused look from Laura.

"Your majesty—?"

"But anyways, I'm sure I have already used too much of your time." She began to stood up, with the lady-in-waiting following her move.

"I thank you for coming to see me, and I'm sorry for keeping you. I'm sure you must've been so busy serving her majesty, Lady Laura."