No Strings

( If you're gonna let me down, let me down gently. Don't pretend that you don't want me. Our love ain't water under the bridge )

"I don't regret us," Marella admit, voice thick with the tears she was trying to blink back.

"Then why," Linh choked out, heaving sobs buried in her (ex)girlfriends chest. "Why are you - hic - leaving me?"

"Finding out all that twisted shit about my parents put me in a bad place. First my mom, then my dad. Every time, I make the same mistakes and hurt you. And you always forgive, because you're this beautiful, warm-hearted, caring person who doesn't deserve the hell I'm putting her through."

Marella let out a ragged breath, sniffling.

"And each time you give me that sweet smile, I'm reminded that I'm the reason you lost it, and I always will be, and it's never going to be the last time. And you shouldn't have to hold up for me. So that's why, I guess."

Linh cupped Marella's face, wiping away tears with her thumbs.

"But I choose you. My decision, not yours."

"I know," the pyrokinetic agreed, voice breaking. "But I'm involved in it too, and I'm gonna need you to choose yourself this time."

"Okay."

The memory resurfaced as a girl who's name Linh couldn't remember unbuttoned her tunic.

"I'm sorry, I can't do this."

"No strings attached?" The girl offered.

"Deal."

Linh fell to the bed of the stranger, drowning out the pain with meaningless kisses and numb touches.

The next morning, she left without saying goodbye.

Everything was easier, with no strings attached. 

( I don't know why, but I'm in a mood where my writing is featuring Linh getting her heart broken??? )