The World Wept

The tide rolled in gently, whispering softly over a dark sand sparkling as if it was the night sky itself. Delicate footprints trailed down the shore, growing fainter as they drew closer to the sea. The impermanence was humbling. 

The moon was but a sliver in the sky, ever radiant despite the fact it was a mere crescent. It was still resplendent, even at a fraction of its glory. It was, for a lack of a better word, enchanting.

But enough about the moon. The moon, the sea, the shore- they all paled in comparison to the girl in the water, cold air nipping just above her knees, where the sea lapped softly.

Her skin shone, reminiscent of the very moon described in such flowery language, it seemed to be prose. Black locks of hair silkily fell down to the small of her back, not yet tangled though windswept and gleaming, silver kissing the tips.

Thin white cotton hung draped around her shoulders, billowing as the grey satin skirt of her nightdress fluttered, caught in a gust of wind.

Slowly, she brought an exquisite violin to her neck. The whole world seemed to look on in silence as she lifted her bow.

And then it all made sense.

Her slender fingers flit from string to string, arpeggiated chords swelling like a flower in bloom. The waves swelled with her music, the tide shifting to pull in and out with the beat. 

Her bow drew back and forth in an elaborate dance, putting everything around her under a spell. Subtle yet captivating, she was the center of everything, the world revolving around her.

Painstakingly, heart-wrenching, her bow drifted across the strings in a final note. The sea was poised, frozen, until the last remnants of sound faded away. The waters settled, smoothing out.

The girl turned, stepping across the glass-like surface with the grace of a ballet dancer. She walked to the edge of the misty horizon, barely visible, and disappeared into a forest of craggy grey trees. 

Her spell broke, and the world wept, aching to hear the phantom strains of her music.

( *Cackles in doesn't have a set writing style* *Coughs* Well anyway, this was inspired by fanart I cannot seem to find of Linh playing the violin in the middle of the sea. Can anyone find it? I would love to credit the artist. Aside from that, I hope y'all weren't too bored while I was painting the picture. )