Shady

When Keefe had first heard of Tam, he had called the boy shady. Because he literally was, as a shade. For some reason, Sophie had felt the need to inform the shade of this, and he had been salty about it all week.

"I don't think Glimmer should come with us on this mission, that's all," Keefe protested. "She has unresolved issues with the Neverseen."

"Yeah, it's a bit shady, don't you think," Tam commented sourly. "Even shadier than the Effluxers planted near Timkin's office yesterday."

"Hey, he had it coming! Stina let me."

Tam continued as if Keefe hadn't said a word.

"But the shadiest thing so far, apparently, is me!" Stomping off moodily, Tam left his satchel at their lunch table.

Sophie cringed.

"I'm sorry!"

"Don't be," Marella encouraged. "This has been wildly entertaining. Hilarious, some might say."

"Rella!" Linh looked at Marella, hurt, running after her twin.

"This is all your fault, Keefe," the pyrokinetic hissed, dumping the remnants of her food in the composter. 

Fitz snickered under his breath, and Biana punched him while chuckling. 

"I really am sorry," Sophie apologized, a crease in her forehead. "I didn't know he'd care so much."

Why did Tam care so much? He rarely cared about anything, let alone what other people thought about him. This was unprecedented, not to mention freaking Keefe out. 

"I didn't know either,"Keefe replied, his mind still stuck on why.

The only other period the two shared was P.E., where Lady Alexine had decided she was tired of their animosity and paired them up.

Which totally made sense.

Tam locked their feet before twisting out and pulling Keefe off balance, flipping the blonde over his shoulder.

"Perfect execution," Alexine called out, clapping twice. "Now switch roles!"

Keefe stood up, performing the same move. He hesitated before throwing Tam, straining his arm from his moment of indecision.

Tam rolled his eyes, ignoring Keefe's outstretched hand.

Lady Alexine polintedly glared, and he bitterly let Keefe help him up. 

All of a sudden, Keefe could sense every wall he had broken down, shoved back together haphazardly. He could feel the sadness, bitterness, and each emotion swirled inside Tam's locked-up little heart.

Including the shattered hope for something more.

Something  . . . more.

Everything clicked into place. 

It was official.

Sophie had some competition for most oblivious elf.

( Heh. )