Throwing Stars & Skipping Stones Oneshot

Sophie was going through her old outfits when she felt something heavy in the pocket. She dug her hand into the proportioned cloth and her fingers skimmed a hard, smooth, surface. She lifted it out and something jumped in her throat. It was a rock. Sophie rubbed it and held the stone to her cheek. Sophie realized she flung her throwing stars like she skipped stones, and remembered her lesson at the deserted island. Keefe came up behind her with the weapon donations bin and Sophie snuck a beginner throwing star out of the seam. 

Keefe tossed her a cracked smile when she set the sharp swirl in the bin. Ever since the Celestial Festival people had been worried about being attacked. It wasn't enough that Foxfire was on hiatus, and everyone wanted something to defend themselves with. So now the group was donating all of their lower-level weapons. You couldn't just buy some in the Lost Cities.

Keefe gave her a real smile when he saw the rock burnished by water. He set the clear bin aside and sat down on the floor next to Sophie, careful not to crush any of the petals in her rug. She leaned into his chest and held the stone to the light. Keefe rubbed her shoulder, wrapping one arm around her, a silent I remember

He remembered when things were easier. Still hard, but not half as vicious. He remembered when he was pressed up behind her, holding out her arm, their bodies moving in sync. 

She remembered. She remembered when her only problem was figuring out the Black Swan's cryptic notes. She remembered how close Keefe was, and how warm he was on the cold black sand. And how the skipping left a line of ripples through the water. 

"You're the reason I can hit my mark."

"Oh?" Keefe rested his head on hers. 

"Yes."

"Well, then I am." Sophie could almost hear an underlying laugh, an if you say so I'll agree type of sentence. Sophie reached up and ran her fingers through Keefe's hair. It was moments like these, silent understanding, that gave her the momentum to keep going. She hoped there would be many more.

(A/N Thank you @notalert for helping me figure out where that was. Shout out 2 u. Please remember to COMMENT, VOTE, & REQUEST. I do need s'more requests while waiting for the mystery person votes to roll in.)