Keeper Of Wonderland | Down The Rabbit Hole

( It's not up to you, you know it's up to me, but curiosity will never let me go. )

Sophie lazed among the branches of a large oak tree, her blond hair fanned out under the delicious shade. A plump gray cat purred under her scratches, paying no mind to the river just beyond the bank they rested on.

"Sophie," Amy indignantly reminded her sister. "You're supposed to be listening." The book Sophie's younger sister had been reading aloud was full of dull facts Sophie's photographic memory already retained. "And you're hogging Marty, too."

Rolling her eyes, she passed the baffled feline down the trunk, subtly pleased by his aggrieved expression. Animals always had similar facial airs about them, the same disgusted curl of the lip.

"In my world, there would be a whole forest where you could go to forget," Sophie suggested distractedly. "You wouldn't have to remember why math formulas worked, just that they did." Her fingers danced as she talked, weaving a daisy chain. She didn't have the slightest idea who she would give it to, except for maybe the stout green creature in a braided waistcoat hopping along the stones of the rushing water.

When she thought about this afterwards, it dawned on her that this was not a normal occurrence, and she probably should have doubted it. It seemed quite normal at the time; but it was when the gnome rode on roots that it all seemed magical.

Naturally, Sophie had to follow.

"I'll sign your homework later, keep reading, bye!"

Amy grumpily mumbled affirmation, aggressively turning the page in her heavy textbook. Of course, Sophie no longer paid her any mind. Scooping up Marty, she raced across the rapidly untangling bridge in time to see the creature jump down a rabbit hole.

Marty finally gained enough consciousness to get past the shock of what had happened, yowling with delayed reaction time. He sort of flopped over Sophie's arm onto the dirt, slowly backing away from the dark tunnel before them.

"I guess I'll just go alone then," Sophie stated venomously to her cat. She crawled in, knowing she would chicken out if she waited any longer. Dirt stained her dress as she reached forward, groping for a handhold. Instead, Sophie toppled into the darkness.

(A/N: Fun fact- I found Keeper Of Wonderland in my drafts from last year with a doodle of Biana as the queen of diamonds, Sophie as Alice, and Keefe as the jack of hearts. If you want a small spoiler, that is! It's funny what a drawing can turn into, isn't it? )