How Far Can A Broken Bird Fly

The memory jarred through her blood.

Alden grinned pleasantly, a cloyingly sweet smile spreading across his face. Only a moment ago, his presence had been warm, almost comforting. A lifeline before her nerve-wracking public sentence.

"Traitor isn't a strong enough word for you," Sophie snapped, much stronger terms coming to mind.

"Why would you ever call me such a thing? I'm doing you a service," Alden protested indignantly. "After all, you'll be seeing your villain as more a victim now, isn't that right?"

Sophie swallowed, a lump of guilt choking her heart.

Her revenge . . . had been taken out on the wrong person. The torture she'd inflicted on Fintan could surely be deserved by some other crime the ancient had committed, couldn't it?

At her trial, she was firm that she had made the right choice, true to her morals. Ready to serve any punishment to come her way for the justice she had served. How could she go out there with her head held high? When she now knew there had been no reason for her cruelty?

What a twisted thing is dignity.

Was Fintan's mind really broken that day?

Was his only misgiving his membership in the Neverseen? His escape from an unjust imprisonment?

Fintan had warned her about Alden, Sophie remembered. She just hadn't the clarity to figure it out.

"Our world is broken, Alden—and all the Council does about it is condemn anyone brave enough to acknowledge that we have a problem. Break our minds, lock us deep in the earth, convince themselves that we are the criminals. But who are the ones ruining lives? Destroying families? Forbidding people from using their abilities, relegating them to working class?"Was Fintan the hero of their story? Could she possibly be the villain?

What had she done.

Maybe . . . she should accept her destiny.

Fury built up in Sophie, causing her to shake with anger.

The rage built up in the glass wall between them, shattering into fine dust.

A sliver of pride shone in Sophie as a flash of fear appeared in Alden's eyes.

She would become the monster they all told her she was.

An angry strum broke down any mental limits she had. And she began to inflict everything they'd ever made her feel. Channeling into his conniving bones as the bits split inside of the Vacker.

Yes, being a monster felt good.

"There's that bloodlust I was looking for," Alden choked out.

No.

( Now let's see if I can find part three! T-T)