When Panakes Blossoms Aren't Enough Oneshot

Sophie stood silent at the wanderling after the annual ceremony. She caressed the cracked-looking pale bark and stared up at the leaves that reminded her too much of his tousled blond hair. The ice-blue flowers were already a punch to the stomach. 

Sophie clambered up the branches until she was hidden by foliage. 

"Keefe? Are you there?"

"I'm always here Foster." Every year they would meet each other in Keefe's wanderling in secret, so they could have a private moment, and so the attempted killer wouldn't know Keefe was still alive. Sophie had saved him with Panakes blossoms and life force, but it had resulted in Keefe being bound to his tree.

Keefe opened his arms wide and Sophie dove into them, never wanting to leave. Last year in the wanderling Keefe had told Sophie he loved her, right as she had to go. 

"I wish we could do this more than once a year." But Sophie knew people would get suspicious.

"Me too Foster, me too." Of course, they had mental conversations at night,  but that was much different. Keefe tightened his grip on Sophie and she grew warmer in the cold breeze. Something about that motion tugged on Sophie's heart, causing her to sigh as she cuddled closer. 

"I've been thinking about what you said last time." Keefe remained silent. "And given how I feel without you, I-I just need to make sure." And woah, Keefe remembered how she made sure with Dex. Which granted didn't go well, but hopefully, this would be different. Sophie's eyes shone in a way Keefe had never seen before. And he had never felt the emotion blasting off anyone else before. But he hadn't really been around anyone who felt what he thought Sophie's emotion was. Or what he hoped it was.

Sophie twisted around on Keefe's lap so she was facing him. Their eyes were closing slowly, both waiting for what was coming next, fearing when they would have to leave for another year, and Sophie didn't hesitate. And she would remember it always, how Keefe was gentle and afraid while they kissed, cradling Sophie in his arms. Sophie threw her whole being into the feeling, not wasting a second. They broke apart, gasping for the air they hadn't been able to breathe. 

"That was worth waiting for." A playful grin stretched across Keefe's face. "Did you-"

"Yes, I ate your mallowmelt on the way here." 

(A/N: I'm a really slow typer, please forgive melee. blah blah blah, first person to comment, blah blah blah, REMEMBER TO COMMENT, VOTE, AND REQUEST. Yeah, that.)