Unmatchable Oneshot

Sophie kept feeling the three heartbeats against her skin. Guilt, fear, and one like a held breath. Like a breath one child would take when the seeker walked right past them in Hide and Seek. But Oralie had been found. The conversation with Fitz echoed in her mind. Did he really not love her enough to be a bad match? Sophie collapsed next to Silveny, leaning her head on the Alicorn's warm body.

SOPHIE OKAY? TEAL BAD! SOPHIE OKAY! SOPHIE, KEEFE KEEFE KEEFE!!!

Sophie smiled inwardly at Silveny's antics. She glanced up and-well, that explained the Keefe's. 

"You okay Foster?" Keefe's brow furrowed in concern, feeling the crushed emotions rolling off of Sophie. She didn't even acknowledge him and instead pressed her face against Silveny's fur. Keefe sat down next to her, and opened his mouth to speak.

"I think we both know what this is about. Fitzphie." Keefe took Sophie's hand and she held on tight. Keefe cleared his throat. "Let me just say I was happy for you." Sophie's eyes widened as she felt the three beats against her wrist. Sophie sat up and turned toward Keefe.

"But were you. Were you really." Keefe ran a hand through his hair and sighed.

"Listen to me. The matchmaking system has always been flawed. Look at Juline and Kesler, or Jolie and Brant. This is just the start of another adventure to fix the Lost Cities. Defeat the Neverseen, end the bad match label. Who knows what amazing thing you'll do next. Nobody said it was going to be easy, but you still power along." Everything Keefe said sunk in, Sophie feeling a lot better. But her mind circled back to her question. The question Keefe didn't answer. Sophie gave herself a few seconds to think and rephrased her question.

"Keefe, do you...love me?" 

"Oh hey, Silveny's hungry, I'll get her some Swizzlespice." Keefe tried to stand up and was instead pulled back down.

"Do. You. Love. Me." Keefe put his head in his hands and groaned.

"You weren't supposed to find out like this," came his muffled voice. 

"How was I supposed to find out?"

"I was gonna wait a few years, or until you were ready for something more."

"A few years!!"

"Um. Yeah." Sophie tried to imagine what it was like for Keefe during cognate practices, or when Fitz was giving her little gifts. She winced. "How did this become about me? the plan was  to comfort you." Sophie moved so she was sitting behind Keefe and wrapped her arms around him.

"Are you crying?" 

"No, you are." But Sophie still felt the tears drop on her hand. She just didn't understand why. Keefe was trembling a bit and Jurek, the equestrian caretaker, gently fed Greyfell while watching the exchange. "It doesn't matter. I don't matter." Oh. Back to this again.

"That's where you're wrong. You matter to me."

"See, you say that, but not in the way I want you to."

TEAL EYES BAD! KEEFE KEEFE KEEFE!!!

"Silveny is expressing her opinions."

KEEFE KEEFE KEEFE SOPHIE KEEFE KEEFE KEEFE SOPHIE KEEFE KEEFE!!!

(A/N: lol, I love Silveny, don't u? PLZ COMMENT-so ik u read it-VOTE, AND REQUEST! First person to comment gets the dedication.)