Chapter 47: The Explanation

Max's pov

We were eating breakfast."are you sure you're okay to go to school?" hopper asked me. I nodded. "you know, you don't have to-" el said. "yeah it's fine, if I stay at home I'll think about it even more" I said. They both didn't say anything and just nodded.
*later at school *
We were about to walk in but el stopped me and grabbed my hand. I turned to look at her. "are you sure?" she asked me oftly. "yeah eleven I already told you like four times" I said a bit sharply. I could tell she was surprised and hurt. I immediately felt guilt. She just looked at me sadly. "I-I'm sorry I shouldn't have yelled at you" I said quietly. "no, it's okay, you're overwhelmed at the moment" el said. "I stil should not let my anger at you" I said. She held my other hand. "max, it's okay, I understand.. okay?" she said quietly. I nodded. That's what I needed at that moment. Someone to understand me. We were 5 minutes late. We got into class. Everyone looked at us. We sat down. Troy and his friends stared at us. "what's up dykes? You both haven't came at school these days, did you have fun together" troy said mockingly smirking at us. I couldn't help it. "shut up troy" I said. Everyone laughed whooping. "no troy seriously it's not the time for this please" Dustin said. Troy was confused. He laughed. "I bet you dykes had-" troy said mockingly but I stood up really pissed off. I grabbed him by his collar not wanting to use my powers and glared at him. "I said shut up troy!! Her mom died you asshole!" I yelled at him. "alright I'm sorry, learn to take a joke" troy said. I was about to speak but a random boy cut me off. "do you think joking about her mom dying is funny?Do You really think that!!?" the boy said loudly mad. I was confused but glad someone said something. We don't even know him. Troy didn't say anything. "what the hell Nick? Why are you yelling at me" troy said laughing. "because you're an asshole! You don't know what she's going through and you make jokes about it?" Nick said. Troy didn't say anything. "guys stop" max quietly said clearly tired of this. No one listened though."so you dykes didn't-" troy tried to say. Is he seriously still making jokes about it? What the hell is wrong with him. Before I could do something Nick came over and grabbed troy by his shirt. I was still holding him by the collar. He grabbed him angirly and punched him hard so hard his nose broke and started bleeding like crazy. All of us gasped. I wasn't expecting that at all. From a student we never even knew. He must like max so much to do that. If he does like her, yeah of course I'll be jealous but at that moment I was glad someone stood up for her other than me. "What the fuck Nick?? You broke my nose" troy yelled as the teacher ran out of the class to get the principal. Some of Troy's friends ran up to him to see if he's okay. "does anyone have tissues??" one of Troy's friends said. "no you deserved that punch troy! You don't make fun of someone's death" A random student said as the whole class agreed with him. Someone gave him tissues we felt bad. "so want Nick? Are you in love with the dyke or something" troy said breathing heavily trying to calm down still holding his nose. "No I'm not, I'm just being respectful and nice which is a things that no one does in here" Nick said. "or are you a fag? There must be a reason to support that dyke and her friends" troy said. We all stared at him angirly. "You're are so sick? And no I am not gay, don't say they word. I'm just not homophobic like you" Nick said. The principal took both of them. Max was just sitting down quietly, not saying anything drawing on her maths notebook. I looked at her. I was still breathing heavily from what happened. I was so mad. I was quietly trying to calm my breathing. I was struggling though. Suddenly I felt max grabbing my hand slowly. "it's okay, breath" she said softly trying to calm me down by taking deep breaths. Once I was feeling better max hugged me. "thank you, you didn't have to" max said pulling away. "you should be thanking Nick" I said smiling at her. "yeah of course but you stood up for me first and I'm glad for that, I just don't want you to get hurt because of me" she said. "I'm fine max, don't worry" I said. She squeezed my hand slightly.
*later after class*
We were walking into lunch. We walked past Nick. Max tapped his shoulder and he turned around. "hi" max said quietly. "hi" Nick said with the same tone. "are-are you okay? Max asked him. " yeah I'm fine"he said. "thanks for standing up for me, you didn't have to, you don't even know me" max said smiling. "it's fine, i um, I actually used to like you a few years ago but-" Nick said and looked at me scared. "now I don't and I won't do anything to you or your girlfriend, I completely support you and I just wanted to hurt him because he was being an asshole and you don't deserve it" Nick said scared. Because of me. Of course the part that he used to like her made me jealous but he was being nice at least. It's normal. Of course people like here or liked her because she's really pretty but she's mine now. "oh okay, well thank you Nick, you didn't have to" max said. Nick nodded. Me and max walked away. "I don't like him el, in a romantic way-" max started saying nervously. I stopped walking and made her look at me. "max-I know, you don't have to apologise, it's normal and reasonable to people like you, and I trust you okay? He was being nice and respectful" I said smiling. "yeah-okay, it's just, we just got back together and I got scared we might argue again" max said looking at me. I smiled at her. "we won't" I said and she nodded. "now let's go eat, I'm really hungry" I said. She laughed sightly. We sat down and started eating. Max didn't eat though. "hey aren't you gonna eat?" I asked quietly. "no I'm not really hungry, thank you though" max said. "max, please eat some" I said a few minutes later. She looked at me. "okay" she said and I smiled. "what happened between you and Mike?" max asked will. Will looked at her and swallowed hard. "um-I broke up with him" Will said. "um will, Mike also came to apologise to me the next day after the argument" I said. Will stopped eating and looked at me. "he did" he said with food in his mouth. You could barely hear him. I nodded. "did you talk to him?" max asked will. "after the argument? No I wouldn't let him" Will said. "did Mike call you or came over?" max asked me. "he came over but once he explained everything Hopper kicked him out" I said. Lucas and Dustin quietly laughed. We looked at them angrily as the mumbled an apology. "what did he say?" Will asked as I told him everything.
*flashback the next day after the argument*
Will's pov