Chapter Forty-Seven- The Contestants

A month has gone by and Ominis seemed to be oblivious as to why I was ignoring him. No matter where he was, I'd find a way to avoid him. The castle was filled with it's usual Halloween decorations, but also posters reminding you that last night was the last time you could vote. With it being Halloween, the time was up and we could finally hear who every contestant was in Headmaster Black's stupid competition.

Poppy and I entered the Great Hall and I could definitely say it was magnificent. The roof above the tables had bats flying above us and instead of the usual candles, cracks of fire were what brought the room to life. Each table's cloth runner wasn't the usual simple one. Instead, each looked brand new with new shades of the house color and a thick black rim wrapping around it.

The house tables had food that changed to that house's colors. Emerald green soups. Navy blue turkeys. Crimson red sausage balls. Even the pumpkin juice was bright yellow. We ran to our table and began grabbing plates to serve ourselves to the most immaculate meal of our lives. Nothing could ever top the meal that was served to us. It was almost like the changing of it's natural colors made it taste even better.

Both Headmaster Black and his son stood by the podium. Every voice in the hall began to shush, leaving it so quiet, a pin dropping would echo these walls. Anticipation built over the words about to be spoken.

"Now has come time to announce the contestants of each house. And since the girls have been pestering my son about it- yes, there will be a dance held over Winter break. Your teachers will give you dress codes and yada yada yada. Now, onto the fun stuff! You each have chosen them just as your house teachers have chosen the tasks that lay before your champions. Professor Sharp for Slytherin, Professor Shah for Ravenclaw, Professor Weasley for Gryffindor, and Professor Garlick for Hufflepuff. Each challenge will be more and more difficult than the last... and I honestly wish you each the best of luck."

His son walked over to the Slytherin goblet. The green glow began to darken as his son waved the wand before the goblet shrank and disappeared. Whatever was left must have been able to have been grabbed, as Mr. Black walked over and grabbed a single parchment square. Smiling, he held it high and announced who was their champion.

"Edward Avery!"

Cheers and bangs rose from the Slytherin table as Edward stood and ran next to Headmaster Black. Everyone could see that this was definitely going to be a game of favorites, as not only was the Slytherin champion as Pureblood, but also one of the Pure Twenty-Eight. Mr. Black continued on to the Ravenclaw table with it's goblet doing the exact same as the last.

"Albion Lockhart!"

I turned to Poppy, silently asking who it was to receive an eye roll. The almost white haired seventh year wore glasses as thin as Arthur Plummly's and with twice the amount of moles decorating his face than Ominis.

"He and Edward are enemies. Albion tried to make a move on Morgana during our third year and since then, he and Edward make it everyone's issue if they're even in the same room." Poppy explained. I could see what she was saying as Albion purposely stood on the other side of Headmaster Black, encouraging his house to make even more noise than Slytherin did.

"Hugh Crowdy!" I hadn't even realized Mr. Black moved onto Gryffindor as yet another seventh year stood up. He had black curls on the top of his head and freckles under his emerald eyes. His mixed skin complimented him well. As he made his way beside Edward, Nellie Oggspire was the one standing and cheering him on the loudest.

A hand was held up to silence the Great Hall by Mr. Black as he finally made his way toward our table. Each step I watched him take was a beat quicker on my heart. The hairs on my neck stood as the goosebumps trickled their way up and down my arm. The goblet once shining a yellow glow as radiant as the sun dimmed to a sunset before it faded away and all that was left was a parchment just like the rest. Mr. Black picked it up and for a quick second, made eye contact and smiled.