Chapter 53: Thoughts of Dying

* WARNING *
contains violence & swearing.

My heart sank. After the girl? But I was the only girl here... Katsuki's grip tightened as Dabi lunged toward us with his flames. Spinner, too, appeared eager to embrace the last-minute alteration in their plan as he advanced, prepared to attack.

"Like hell I'd let you take her." Bakugou replied snarkily, pulling me in close, positioning himself as a protective shield. Still holding my hand firmly as he unleashed a massive explosion with his other.

Deku stood beside us and readied himself for action. The villains rapidly shot backward from the impact of Bakugou's quirk, stumbling onto the floor. Katsuki pulled me in close again, but loosened his grip on my hand. Instead, be grasped onto either side of my arms, our faces now inches apart, his eyes were wide and serious.

"Get the fuck out of here." He ordered, pushing me away slightly, my arms no longer in his grasp; a signal to teleport away.

"I- I can't just leave you guys here.." I spoke shakily, unsure of what to do.

"It's you, they're after." Bakugou remarked, his expression casted in shadow.

Yet his eyes seethed with a rage that looked as though he was on the verge of snapping.

"This pretty young girl?" Mr Compress taunted, as he danced with a majestic flair.

"That can be arranged." He stated darkly, swooping straight toward me.

Midoriya shot like a bullet through the air, knocking him back with a single punch.

"TODOROKI-KUN!!!!!", He screamed "THEY'RE AFTER Y/N!"

Todoroki's eyes darted toward our direction, then back toward his father. Endeavour's aura intensified as his nostrils flared, followed by the orange glow of his flames blazing wildly. Within seconds, the pair of them alongside Gran Torino shot to our direction, ignoring Twice's remaining doubles.

But the villains became more ruthless as the fire engulfed the building, in the midst of smoke and flame it became increasingly harder to see. The group of villains continued to rain down strikes at the others from various angles, yet in the blink of an eye I felt something grasp at my arm. I spun around abruptly to meet the gaze of the culprit, but all I saw was the sinister markings of a mask, at an uncomfortable distance away.

Unexpectedly, as his initial grip grew stronger, something about it began to feel cold. My eyes shifted to my arm where I noticed ice blistering away at his skin, then suddenly a loud thud as Midoriya's fist met the mask, jolting him away with a force to let me go.

I teleported to the far side of the room, away from my friends and villains, attempting to catch my breath. What should I do? Where should I go? My usual thoughts of logic seemed to have disappeared from the unbearable sense of dread. With anxiety brewing inside, my mind seemingly went blank. Why couldn't I think of a single place to teleport to, at a moment when it was crucial?

BAKUGOU POV

Katsuki watched as a path of Todoroki's ice soared rapidly through the commotion. Twice and Spinner were closing in on him, garnering his attention, but his heart began to pound once he realised his gaze was no longer on Y/N. He continued to blast the villains back, looking for her in every direction when he noticed Deku land a strong hit on Mr Compress, not too far away from him. That's when he caught a glimpse of Y/N's flowing hair, but then she vanished.

Bakugou desperately scanned the room, hoping to find her amidst the smoke and flames. At first, he felt a glimmer of relief, maybe she took his advice and fled from the scene. But his relief turned to horror when he glimpsed her across the room, her face etched with panic. She remained there for a brief moment, and to Katsuki's terror, he spotted a monstrous figure with menacing claws closing in on her. Suddenly, the ceiling started to collapse. Bakugou propelled himself towards her, but he didn't make it in time. A wall of debris crumbled between them before he could reach her, isolating Y/N from everyone else.