Cleaning Up

Johanna in front of me starts to make a huge pile of branches and clumped leaves . She kind of ignores me, Jack gives me assuring looks. "Katniss come on pick the crap up" Johanna snaps. "Johanna!" Jack snarls. I stand back, walking over to Effie and Haymitch. Peeta stands back talking to Jack. "Well isn't she something else" Effie said arrogantly. "It's really making me mad" I said and watch the kids give Haymitch small twigs. In the corner of my eye I see Jack pulling her inside. Minutes later he comes over to apologize. Effie puts her hands on her hips, disgusted. "Get your wife under control. I don't appreciate her" she snaps. Peeta comes to stand besides me taking the many branches out of my hand into the trash bag. I wipe my dirty hands on my pants.

After cleaning we head out to help anyone at all, people who may be hurt or need help cleaning up. We made it to town hall, it was already cleaned up. The houses to, peacekeepers were picking up the remains of it all. "Let's see how Madge is doing" I said, Ivy smiles. Evan stands looking around. Then the person who I thought to never ever see again comes up to me. "GALE?" Effie yells. He smiles, and tries to shake hands with her. She insists not. "We were just heading into town hall" I snap. "Out of our way" Haymitch said. "Is anyone at your house now?" he asks. "Her mother!" Effie snaps. I give her a hard look. We walk in. Peeta comes next to me grabbing my shaking hand. Gale hasn't followed us. "Madge?" Ivy said desperately. "Ivy?!" Madge. She runs out with buttercup in the crook of her arms. She gently drops her down. She gallops over, happiness in her gait. She grins at all of us. A small tear rolls down her nose. Effie and Haymitch hold hands. I catch Haymithce's attention. He smirks. I blink, and turn to give Madge a warm hug. "Is your house cleaned up?" she asks. I show her my dirty hands. "Great!" she exclaims. "Where's Mayor?" Evan asks. "He's helping the peacekeepers. But don't you worry about helping" she said. "That's what we came out here for" Haymitch said. I roll my eyes "Then leave". They do.

We leave the kids with Madge to see what is going on with Gale. It's a dangerous decision. We don't find him.

I hear a loud Evan scream, scared and muffled. Then it's gone. It sucked my breath away. "Evan?!" I ask frantically. Peeta frowns, we run towards where the scream was.