Chapter 33

-Hayley's POV-

I slid myself into the poorly padded booth that was perched in the corner by the window. The sunlight pouring through the unprotected glass making the temperature appear much warmer than it really was. Niall crossed his arms across his chest with an indifferent glare on his face. He was pouting, yet again.

"Niall," I said tugging on his arm but he kept his stare set on the wall as he sat down at a table just across from me. "Niall, you can sit he. Jeffery isn't going to care too much. If he does then I'll have to make you move." I teased and pulled on his hood.

He let out an annoyed growl and reluctantly got to his feet. He slid into the same side booth as me and pretended to study a menu. I caught Sandy's attention, begging for her assistance.

"You want something?" I asked quietly while sliding my hand onto his knee. I only got silence in response. With an eye roll and a low mummer, I let it roll off my shoulders. I didn't understand why he left the need to pain a total pain in the ass every time things didn't go as he wished they would. No matter, I was about to meet Jeffery for something that must be pretty important and I was not going to be in a sour mood when he decided to show up.

I let my hand slip from Niall's knee, only to have him snatch it again and put it back to its previous position. His hand swallowed mine, keeping it in its place.

"Just because I'm not talking to you doesn't mean I'm going to ignore you." His voice was low, as if he was trying not to cause a scene.

"So you don't want me talking to you but I need to have physical contact with you?" I snapped and took in a deep breath to control myself.

Niall tightened his grip on my hand. "I'm just a little annoyed." He admitted through gritted teeth.

"What is there to be annoyed with?" I exasperated before Niall hissed at me to be quiet. "You're explaining yourself a soon as she leaves." I rushed the words before smiling up at Sandy.

"Hey, you guys! How are you? I haven't seen both of you since the summer! Hayley was here earlier this week, but you Niall." Sandy exclaimed motioning her hand up and down Niall. "You, sir, just keep looking better and better every time I see you." She winked and Niall laughed nervously.

"I'm doing good, Sandy." Niall smiled and threaded his fingers with mine underneath the table.

"Oh my heavens! I'm sorry, what do you guys want? I'm assuming coffee for Miss Hayley." Sandy winked and jotted scribbles down on her notepad.

"I just want some water." Niall shrugged and Sandy disappeared.

"Tell me. What is on your mind. Now." I demanded, glancing out the window to see if Jeffery was here yet.

Niall sighed and ran his hands through his hair and then placed his flat bill back on his head. "I just.. I don't know how I feel about this whole thing.." He stumbled over the words that poured from his mouth.

"This?" I gaped. My blood was starting to boil. I knew whatever it was, it would probably make me frustrated but this? This I was not prepared for. "What do you mean this? Like us?"

Niall's eyes popped open wide. "No! No, baby, no! Not us. I am really really glad with where we are right now. I feel like things are being smoothed out and I am happy about that." He rushed the words while taking my hands into his own. His thumb ran over the top of my knuckles soothingly.

"Then what is this?" My voice was raising but I didn't care at the moment. If he wasn't talking about our own relationship, then who was he talking about? I already told him everything about Chris. Chris was the last thing on my mind at the moment. I had pushed the whole offer and condition off the side. Then it hit me. "Oh my God." I gaped.