Chapter 89

-Hayley's POV-

The car was so loud. We had managed to squeeze seven people into car only meant to carry six, and no one could refrain from complaining.

"My butt hurts!" Logan whined from the very back seat.

"Well maybe you should stop choking me and get off my damn seatbelt." Matt muttered nudging Logan a little too hard, sending him into Jess' lap. She looked down at Logan with pure distgust before glaring at Matt.

"Can you not?"

Matt stared blankly at her. "Can I knot? Sure. What do you want in a knot? Your shoelaces? Your hair? How about your vocal chords?"

"You're a dick, you know that?" Jess muttered pushing Logan back towards Matt.

"Kiss my ass."

The noise seemed to raise with volume with every mile we drove. Maura looked tired and I didn't blame her. I was tired and completely embarrassed that they were acting this way in front of her. In front of anyone at all really.

I desperatly wanted to roll down my window and stick my head out the window. Have the warm breeze fill my ears in a loud, relaxing whirl and have it cascade over my face, removing every physical feature of worry from my appearance, but I couldn't. It would just be louder, which would make the yelling louder, making all of us even more miserable.

"So Hayley, tell me, is there many things to do here?" my mom called in my ear, making me wince.

"I mean, you've been living here for a while now. What are the attractions?"

"Dude, can't I legally drink in this country?" Matt yelled with a new burst of excitement.

I held my face in my hands. my fingertips digging into my brain as I nodded.

I heard Matt celebrate in the back followed by Logan asking, "Does that mean I can drink too?!"

"No!" everyone,  even Maura, snapped back at him, sending his body sliding further into the cushioning under his butt.

"Maybe Niall could take us around the town since Hayley obviously has no desire to," Mom snapped.

I noticed Maura glance at me quickly before facing the road again.

The noise in the car rise in volume again. The shouts drilling through my ears, scourging my brain. The screams pounding against the side of my skull like my grandmother used to beat hamburger until it was flat.

I closed my eyes and exhaled through my noise once before pulling the seatbelt away from my chest, allowing my body to twist to the side.  All my patience was thinning away and none of it was in my control.

"Listen," My voice came out hard and rough like I had been to a concert the night before and vocal chords were shot. "Niall is not home, okay? He's not even in Ireland right now. He is working. I will gladly take you guys around to all the pubs sometime this week but we have a whole freaking lot to do, okay?"

Eyes stared at me like I was a graphic gut wrenching painting displayed at an art gallery only intended for floral artwork. My fingertips gripped onto the seat so hard they turned white. My jaw ached from being clenched so tightly.

"For Christ's sake,  I am about to get married in a week and you guys just want to go out and drink? I have to show you all the church so we can get it arranged and the reception. We have to pick up the dresses and tuxedos and, just damn," I  groaned threading my fingers through my hair and pulling in frustration. "We are going to my house and staying there for the night because I'm just done with all of this right now."