Chapter 48

-Hayley's POV-

I stared at the reflection in the mirror. There was no possible way that was me. The girl standing in front of me, eyeing my face and mimicking my every move, looked dark and seductive. She had this aura of challenge that radiated from her.

I was not that.

I was meek and scared.

I was paranoid and fragile.

I was not the carefree dauntless girl that I was a year ago. No. I had diminished. I had diminished into a scared girl who clung to her sunshine as if it was her favorite Barbie toy.

But at that moment, I didn't know that.

I stared at the confident woman staring back at me. She wore a tight-fitted black dress that had black laced three-quarter length sleeves. The hem of the dress hit a little above mid-thighs, just above her fingertips. The sweetheart neckline of the dress gave her bust a fuller look and the back was open, exposing her shoulder blades to the world's eye.

Her face looked more angular. Her cheekbones were more prominent and her chin looked strong but settled into a feminine characteristic. 

The only thing convincing me that the girl was indeed my reflection was the hair color and the weird chlorine colored eyes. But even with the unmistakable color, they looked bigger and brighter than they ever did before.

I looked. . . attractive.

McKenna's green eyes gleamed with pride as she took in my facial expression with the help of the mirror. She held her hands together against her lips, trying to hide her smile.

"What do you think?" She asked after I ran my fingertips across my face a few more times. It was bizarre.

"I think... I feel... confident," I admitted softly with a smile and McKenna's face broke out into a large toothy grin.

"You should!" She exclaimed. "You're fucking gorgeous. You should always be confident."

I stared at myself for a while longer before answering. "Yeah," I breathed. "I should."

-

I stared at the clock hanging on the wall but no matter what I did, time same to shift slowly. It was a quarter 'til seven now, and every second passed even more slowly. I debated whether or not to leave now just in case there was traffic, but what would I do if I was early? I could figure out which hotel the boys were in.

I reached for my phone to text Louis when it started ringing.

"What the hell?" I mumbled to myself before glancing at the screen. I could feel all color drain from my face. I knew this would happen, why am I so shocked?

"Who is it?" McKenna asked as she pulled a book out from her shelf.

"It's Chris," I said hoarsely and McKenna's jaw dropped. My throat was dry and scratchy.

I knew my answer. I knew what I was going to do, why am I so worried.

"Don't answ-" McKenna stared but it was too late. I already had my phone pressed against my ear.

"Yes?"

There was a deep chuckle on the other end and my stomach dropped further. I had once found comfort in that laugh, now I despised it.

I despised him.

"Don't sound so pleased to speak to me, Hayley," Chris gloated and I could picture that ridiculous smirk.