Chapter 59

-Matt's POV-

It was nearly midnight now. Hayley had fallen asleep, lying on top of Niall with his arms around her. I was glad to see her finding some sense of security, but in another way I wasn't too thrilled.

Liam sat in front of me staring at his full cup of coffee as if he expected it to move. We had been forced into conversation, not that I cared. Liam was nice and funny but it was weird and awkward being the next room over from a couple that was basically trying to get back together after hell twisted them apart.

"How do you feel about the two of them?" Liam asked suddenly. He listed his head to the side, waiting for some sort of logical opinion that I possessed about the only friend I had and her ex-ex-boyfriend that sent her into an emotional downward spiral.

I shrugged my shoulders and glanced into the adjoined living room. Hayley had a faint trace of a smile lingering on her lips. She probably was happy, but that didn't change much. "I want her to be happy. And Niall is a nice guy. I know he means well but.. you haven't seen her when they are fighting. You don't see how scared and unstable she is when she isn't sure where they stand. It scares me in a way."

"Niall loves her more than he loves his football," Liam said calmly. "but he doesn't quite know how to express those feelings. I like them together, they have gone through hell but I can't help but agree. Niall had become quite on edge with everything and it scares me when he fucks up like he had been doing lately. But they always seem to find their way back to each other."

"A drug addict always finds his way back to a drug dealer but that doesn't mean it's good for him."

Liam laughed and nodded in agreement. "True, very true. However both, the drug dealer and the drug addict are at fault. The only difference is the dealer is just trying to get by. Maybe get some income to support a family or pay off his debts. The addict is just being selfish and fulfilling his own needs."

"Are you trying to tell me that my analogy was irrelevant?" I joked but still serious.

Liam shook his head and smiled. "I mean, both of them are at fault, but neither of them is focusing on their own selfish needs. Yes, still being selfish but for the benefit of what is to come."

"So they are both drug dealers?"

"Exactly. Both fulfilling their selfishness but trying to make some good out of it. Still doing many things wrong, but not completely meaning to."

"Sounds confusing." I laughed.

Liam nodded and pointed to the two of them on the couch. "In case you haven't noticed. They are confusing."

-Niall's POV-

I had fallen asleep last night with Hayley lying on top of me, soaking my shirt with her tears. I had fallen asleep  with her arms around me.

I had fallen asleep.

And it was the best night's sleep I have had in the past few months. I hadn't forgotten what it felt like to have someone's heartbeat against your own, but I had missed it.  All I could do now was remember the misery I had survived and vow to myself, and Hayley, that I wouldn't fuck it up anymore.

Being alone sucks. Really it sucks.

I woke up around eight-thirty, too early for my personal likening. However, the annoying buzz of my phone in my pocket reminded me that I still had places to be and those places could be here, but that no one knew I was here. Yesterday I had lost the security in traffic and never returned their calls. I'm surprised I haven't been tracked down and skinned alive.

Give it time.

Hayley grunted and pulled herself up away from my chest that had served as a pillow. I tilted my head to the side and smiled to myself as she stretched her arms above her head. Her hair was parted in the most unusual way, which was common when she woke up. She had a frown etched into her face and she couldn't keep her eyes open. Her lower lip stuck out a little further as if she was pouting about how early her slumber had been disrupted.