Chapter 40

-Niall's POV-

The day had come. I lied on my back, staring at the ceiling, as Hayley's naked body rested on top of mine. My arms wrapped around her, trying to keep her as warm as possible. I didn't want to leave. This whole week had been a total wreck. Sure it had times where nothing could have gone better, but then as soon as that thought would cross my mind something would come along and turn everything we just rebuilt into rubble.

One Month.

One month is all I had to go through before the two of us could try again. One month is all I had to go without her. One month I could handle.

I heard my phone vibrate underneath the pillow behind my head but I continued to stare at the ceiling. I knew what it meant. I knew that it was time for me to get out of this bed that had become my temporary home and get on a plane. I knew it was time to come out of hiding and venture back out into the life I was fortunate to have. I knew it was time.

But that didn't change the fact that I wished that it wasn't time.

Hayley stirred ans buried her face further into my chest. She let out a low graon and I knew what she was thinking. She was thinking the same thing that I had been.

Why so soon?

Neither of us said anything. We only lied there in each other's arms listening to the annoying vibration of my phone alarm. Hayley pressed a kiss to my jawline and fit her head back into the crook of my neck.

"We don't need you to be late." She said sullenly.

I shrugged. "Fuck it. That plane can leave without me."

"You don't mean that." She said and lifted herself up from the plush mattress, making sure to hold the duvet against her exposed chest. My eyes trailed down her back. I just wasn't ready to face the heartache and pain that would form again as soon as she was away from me.

As long as she wasn't by my side, my chest ached. I felt like there was a giant hole where my heart was supposed to be. It was life you could see through me completely. Like there was literally nothing there, literally.

"You're going to be late for class." I told her even though I knew that was aware of the fact. "I can drive myself." I really didn't want to have to drive myself. Well, preferably I didn't want o leave at all.

"I'll go to whatever classes I can and then to work." Hayley shrugged turning to face me. Her eyes scanned my face as if she was searching for something. Her hand reached out and I knew exactly where its destination was.

Her finger lightly traced over the scar across my eyebrow time and time again. Her face twisted into a frown as she remembered the cause of this permanent feature.

"Don't think about that right now." I told her and clasped my fingers around her hand. I pressed a kiss to the back of her hand, never taking my eyes from hers.

"Promise me something." She said quietly. My thumb ran over her knuckles as she lowered her face closer to mine.

"'Course." My index finger tucked a blonde curl behind her ear, but was in no hurry to break the contact from her soft cheek.

"Promise me, that if for some reason you find someone else, some better than me, that you will tell me immediately." I wanted to laugh but by the look on her face I knew she was completely serious. "I mean it. I don't want you to lead me on because you don't want to hurt me. I want you to get it done and over with. Like a band aid. Just do it."

Her eyes were getting a red tint and glossy. I knew she was trying hard to fight back the feelings and tears daring to spill over. I pulled her closer, tightly wrapping my arms around her delicate limbs.

"Hey, hey," I whispered in her ear. "That's not going to happen, okay? I love you."

"I love you too. But things change and feelings change. Mine won't ever change for you because I lost my heart to you so long ago, but you're out there with so many better people. So many prettier people. Singers, dancers, models.."

"I don't want a singer, or a dancer, and definitely not a model." I said bring her back gently so I could see her face. I pressed my forehead against her own and nudged the tip of my nose to the bridge of hers. "I just want you. And only you."

...

I pulled away my lips away from Hayley's relunctantly. I wanted to savor this moment to the best of my abilities. I was used to leaving but it seemed to get harder and harder.

"I love you, Hayley." I smiled down to her. She smiled deeply and her cheeks flushed pink. I could never get over that. It was adorable how every time I complimented her or stated the fact that I loved her, she blushed and bit her lower lip. Just like she was doing now.

"I love you too, Niall." She looked down at our fingers that were intertwined together. Hayley traced the indented words on the guitar pick that still rested around my wrist. I could see the smile on her face. "You really like this?" She asked quietly and I nodded.

"Love it." I smiled. "Not as much as you but definitely a lot."

"First class now boarding." A squeaky high pitched voice rang over the intercom.

Both, Hayley and I, let out a low sigh. "You should go, babe." Hayley offered a small smile.

I pressed a tender kiss to her forehead. "One more month."

"It'll be different then." Hayley said with a smile. "It will be like a new start in a way. Just you and I. No mistakes, just love and company of each other. I promise."

A deep smile spread across my face at her promise. I knew what she meant. Her decision was made.

And her decision was me.

((A/N Hey guys I'm really sorry for not updating in forever and this chapter is really short too. I'm sorry. Be ready for it to skip around again. We're almost done!! Ahhh, I can't believe it. I'm definitely gonna miss it but I think it's time to move on. Okay anyway please vote and comment and hopefully I will find time to update more regularly. I'm sorry this chapter was total shit too.

But please check out the dedication! This girl is the author of one of my favorite fanfics Poison. IT IS SO GOOD YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!

Anyway, yeah, I'm sorry again.))