Chapter 71

-Niall's POV-

My heart was pounding so had against my chest I swear the others in the next room could hear it. I looked through closet like Matt had told me, trying to find his gun safe. When I did, I turned and yanked on the handle but it was locked. Vaguely I remembered Matt saying he kept a key in one of the drawers.

"You're a sick bastard." I heard Hayley snap in the next room.

My anger flared again but I continued to look for the key. I needed to find it for some sort of protection. Ryan had a gun. I couldn't handle my own. I didn't even know if I could handle my own with a gun.

Through the clutter and mess floating through my head, I remembered the time paps showed up outside of Hayley's. She was so paranoid that she ended up bring a gun down with her. She could have protected me but now when it was my turn to return the favor, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do the same thing.

But I sure as hell would die trying.

"Tell me something I don't know. I just wish that dumbass father of yours was here to see this,"

I paused when I heard a clicking sound. He wouldn't.

"or that city boy band member of yours."

I gave up looking for that damn key and flung my body at the door. The hinges squeaked and cracked as they were torn from the wall. A lamp that was resting behind the door fell off and crashed to the ground.u

The sudden noise and movement caused Ryan to hesitate. Hayley and he both looked over at me. My fists were clenched at my sides. My pulse quickened. I wanted nothing more than to rip that mutherfucker's head off. I heard soft whimpers but I didn't remove my eyes from Ryan to look around. He was all I saw. That, and red.

"Right on cue I see." He smirked.

"You son of a fucking bitch," I started walking towards him.

"I'll shoot."

"Doubtful." I challenged. Part of me was hoping he was bluffing but a bigger, stronger part of me knew he wasn't.

He wasn't.

The loud gunshot made my ears ring. Hayley sucked in a gasp. He arms immediately going to her thigh. He wasn't bluffing and it was my fault. Through gritted teeth, Hayley let out a distressed moan, turning to her side and hitting her head against the floor.

Ryan turned to me. "You know, most people wouldn't gamble such a precious thing as a girl." The boards squeaked under his weight. "And I thought I was a dick. You're even worse than me."

I dug my nails into the palm of my hand. He was just trying to get under my skin and I would not allow him to.

"Niall," Hayley struggled to say. "don't listen to him."

"Do you know that it's because of you that her dad is dead?" My breathing hitched in my throat. He's lying. Lying.

"I wouldn't have needed to kill him if you would have just left Hayley alone. If you would have just let her walk out of that fucking garage, he would still be here."

"Why so you could kill him this way?"

Ryan shrugged. "That's for me to know and you to never find out." He was closer now. So close that I could easily break his nose. Easily.

Hayley screamed at me in the background but my focus was on Ryan. That smug look on his face as he continued to tear me apart inside, shred by shred.

"She would be happier without you."

"Stop." I said through gritted teeth.

"What Horan? Don't like the way I talk to you? don't like the way I tell you the truth? She would be happier, she'd be better off with someone normal."