Chapter 61

-Hayley's POV-

I woke up the next morning in Matt's room. He insisted on taking the couch this week. Neither of us found it appropriate to sleep in the same room even though nothing would happen.

I turned over and shut off the annoying beeping from my phone. Sometime today I'd have to stop by the dorm and pick up the remainder of my things. I had called my mom last night and briefly explained the situation to her. 

She seemed vey understanding. I still hadn't gotten used to this side of her. We planned on her coming up tomorrow and carrying all the extra belongings home so I wouldn't have it cluttering up Matt's house. I couldn't quite wrap my head around the fact that Logan told me that they were thinking about calling off the engagement. What had he done to make my mother change her mind?

Or was Ryan the one to call it off?

I shook the thought out of my head. I had enough to go through already. The last thing I needed was to add my family's troubled on top of it. I crawled out of the bed and started towards the bathroom to start off the beginning of a long day.

-

 I leaned my head against the back rest, staring out the open window. The warm spring air spilled through the opening, fanning my face. It was refreshing to feel carefree for those few minutes as Matt drove the two of us to the campus. The ACDC music that had blown my eardrums when I first got in the car, had been quieted to a just-above-comfortable volume.

"Not to start off your day with a pile of shit but," Matt started adjusting his sunglasses. "did your mom say when she'd come up tomorrow?"

I rolled my eyes before turning to face Matt. I knew he meant well but that was literally the last thing I wanted to talk about. "After my classes."

Matt nodded. "I understand that you don't want to talking about that."

"You're correct."

"But I figured you didn't want to talk to me about your whole new Niall relationship trial thingy."

Okay, I take that back. That is the last thing I wanted to talk about.

I turned my body so I was facing Matt the best I could with my seatbelt. I crossed my arms. "What do you have to say about it?"

Matt sighed. "I just don't want you to get hurt again. I know he makes you happy and I respect that. Just don't rush back into anything. Give it time."

I made some sort of squeaky noise before turning my back to him.

"I'm the only friend you have left. And frankly, you're the  only friend I have left. I'm not against you. I just care."

He was right. Matt was really the only thing I had left. No McKenna, new relationship trial with Niall, and I couldn't go home until finals. We only had each other.

"Sorry," I sighed as I messed with the hair tie in my hair. "I'm just stressing out a lot."

"I understand."

"Niall leaves tomorrow."

I saw Matt look at me out of the corner of my eye. "Are you going to see him before he goes?"

"I think I may talk to him tonight," I pressed my fingers to my temple. "I don't know. I know I need space but when I'm with him I forget that. All I remember is the way things used to be, how he still makes me feel, how much I love him. It's hard to keep the space when time is so limited."