Breathing In Snowflakes - Denmark x Norway

Prompt - "White lips, pale face, breathing in the snowflakes" 

Denmark - Mikkel
Norway - Eirik
Iceland - Ari

Looking back at it now, it was kind of sad. Their romance was a tragedy. No, it wasn't a romance filled from start to finish with aggressive fights and bitter words. There was no happy moments with friends out at the bar in the middle of the night. No one asking how they met or how long they've been together. He'd say forever but to him even forever wasn't enough.

There was moments when his heart was broken by the same guy he fell in love with. Times of great sorrow for the both of them. In truth, there was nothing much either of them could do while in this situation. Neither of them were well enough. Mikkel was in his final stages and Eirik was having problem after problem as his body shut down.

Mikkel kept a diary. All his thoughts, his feelings, things that happened during the days he was there. Still he loved a person with a love he didn't think was capable. Mikkel and Eirik were practically inseparable. During the first stages of his therapy, he met Eirik. They clicked and spent most of their time together.

Even if that meant annoying the hell out of nurses on the ward. They'd worry about each other when it came to operations or chemo or just a simple blood test. It was living a life that could be taken away in a flash or a lifetime full of suffering.

Now, Mikkel wasn't happy. Not anymore. He was sad. More than sad. He thought he was depressed. He couldn't eat, couldn't sleep. He couldn't do anything other than feel the pain of both the heartbreak and the cancer. His door creaked open. The Danish boy barely acknowledged it. "Mikkel?" asked a smooth accented voice. The man in question just sighed. There was no point in speaking.

Ari sat down. A few Danish butter cookies in a bag were placed on the hospital table. "A few home comforts." mused Ari. Mikkel looked over at the younger boy. All violet eyes and snow like hair. Though his face, his facial shape looked like his brother's. He had the same gaze as his brother's. It was painful to look at but Ari became family to him.

"I want you to have this." croaked Mikkel. A sombre gaze that led to a heavy heart was poured into his words as he picked up the leather journal. He pushed it over towards Ari. "I won't be needing it any longer." he said. Ever since the passing of his beloved Eirik, Ari had been keeping him company. Coming here everyday. Talking about the outside world. How he did at school, what he did that weekend or who he fancied.

There was never a dull moment, Mikkel must admit. Though he was jealous. He was jealous that he couldn't go outside. He couldn't enjoy the warm breeze of summer or the smell of fresh rain in Autumn. The bitter flavour of coffee or the taste of a chocolate cake on a Sunday afternoon.

All he had was the memory of a long ago time when he wasn't sick. When he could go to school and enjoy football and swimming and chase after pretty girls. Now he was stuck in til the end of his days. He had used his wish when it looked bad quite a few years ago. He wished to go on holiday and so he did.

Though if he used his wish now, it'd be to go and visit Eirik's grave. Pay his respects that he couldn't pay during the funeral held months ago. "What did you first see when you saw my brother?" asked Eirikur. That set of a new wave of memories. A long ago day when they were allowed outside for short moments at a time. A day when snow fell from the sky and he first saw a gorgeous angel of boy. A day when he knew love at first sight existed.

"White lips, pale face, breathing in the snowflakes." muttered Mikkel recalling the memory fondly. After 10 minutes more of conversation with Ari, Ari left. "See you tomorrow." chimed Ari with a smile. Mikkel had eaten the small home comforts Ari had brought and smiled a tiny smile. A knowing smile. "Yeah, see you tomorrow kid." he murmured. Though it was empty. He knew it was time to go. He wasn't going to see Ari tomorrow. Not even the day after that. He was tired and his end was nigh. So he closed his eyes and relaxed. Hoping that when he entered the spirit world, he'd be reunited with Eirik.