One Last Dance - Denmark x Norway

Norway - Eirik
Denmark - Magnus 

"One last dance..." he begged the other male with an outstretched hand. Magnus didn't want this to end. He never meant to hurt him. Never meant for his feelings to die. It just happened.

Eirik was hesitant but took his hand anyway. One last chance to be close to the Dane. One last chance to seek a small pleasure for the flame that still dwindled within him. The Norwegian closed his eyes as he listened to the music and the steady beat of the heart coming from the man in front of him.

Everything seemed to slow down. The music seemingly far away and the people around the two of them just slowly fading away. If only he could turn back time. Figure out where everything went wrong. He just didn't know why Magnus left him. Even if it was months ago, Eirik still felt his heart skip a beat every time he saw the Dane but only for it to hurt when he remembered that Magnus was with another. An older, sweeter, Belgian girl.

Maybe Magnus never really liked guys. He was pretty sure the 3 years of love which Magnus gave him was real. All those passionate nights together. All the pairs of socks he found days after Magnus left his apartment when they were first seeing each other.

The shirts he used to lend Magnus and the ones Magnus left behind. Little memories like that were all that he clung on to in hopes that one day Magnus would come back to him. Leave Emma and come back to him. Speaking of Emma where was she?

He became aware of how well he used to know Magnus. The way he held himself, the way he acted around different people. The way Magnus used to speak in a lower, softer, quieter tone around children but spoke quite the opposite when with his friends. The multitude of sports and community projects he participated in.

The amount of knowledge he held but the same amount he was oblivious to. Eirik knew just how Magnus liked his coffee. He knew him down to the pattern of how he breathed when he slept, or when he was awake. Even the pattern of breathing when he was about to submerge into euphoria.

He knew that Magnus' heart skipped a beat every other beat. It's just the way his heart worked. It was just a flicker of hope. A flicker of hope that granted him another chance at loving him only for it to crash and burn out.

Soon he stopped the smooth motions of dance with the man who once loved him and pulled away from him. He missed his warmth already. The eyes that he used to gaze into for hours on end. A face that he believed held all the answers he ever wanted. A relationship that wasn't to be.

He hung around until it became dark. The wedding reception still going strong. Of course, it wasn't his wedding but a close friend of his and Magnus'. He watched on as Magnus laughed along with whatever joke Abel and Amara had shared. "Please don't leave..." he whispered in a defeated sigh. It was no use. Even after all these years, it was best to leave what wasn't meant to be.

A jacket was wrapped around his shoulders and a presence beside him that he was learning to love. Glancing into ruby like eyes outlined with snow coloured eyelashes, he smiled slightly. The smile was just to show he appreciated the gesture. "Ready to go?" asked his new love. One he could never see the same as Magnus.

"Yeah.." Eirik responded and let himself be guided from the party. Magnus watched as Eirik left with one of his best friends. And wished that the Norwegian could love another just as much as he still loved Magnus. After all he'll never forget the three words he heard all those years ago that made him realise maybe he didn't love Eirik for the last few months. Maybe he just felt like another friend. The words that sounded so heavy and so melancholic.

"Please don't leave..."