I Met You At A Ball - Monaco x Macau

Monaco - Lucille
Macau - Cheng

It was an annual thing. A place to gather full of silken robes and suits in varying shades of navy, black and grey. Tailed suits, tuxedos, tailored suits, striped. There was tonnes of different varieties all tapered to the wearer's personality.

Dresses of all colours swirled around the women of the night. All of them beaded, jewelled and beautiful. Tied with sashes and adorned with a small piece of translucent fabric with varies designs draped over the lady's arms.

Both male and female wore complicated masks. Keeping most of their faces hidden but leaving their eyes vulnerable to the others. A dance filled with those from around the world hoping to find a love fit for them or just another business partner.

Lucille, a beautiful girl from Monaco, stayed away from the spotlight. Her baby pink gown flowed gently around her. Glittery tulle fabric on the bottom half and a complementing neckline suited just for her. The bodice glittered with small jewels that seemed to shine underneath the lights. Her hair hung in golden ringlets that draped over her shoulders and down her back. Her ornate mask only revealed blue eyes that sparked with curiosity.

This is only the second time she'd been to one of these balls. It took a lot to do herself up to look appealing the first time not that she wasn't already a beauty to any beholding sight. She wasn't used to doing all the make up or dressing up in a fancy dress just to improve business relations. The first time, she was there with her brother, he knew how to speak to people and helped her with talking about business. This time she was alone on behalf of her brother who was in an important business meeting in Milan.

A waltz played in the background and she watched, intrigued, as people danced together in a pattern of 3 steps. Perhaps a few more than three but still it was slow and she saw how romantic it could be. Then she caught sight of him. A lone figure at the other end of the room. A man in a red suit. She'd seen him before at the previous one. As far as she knew he didn't talk. He didn't do anything but observe.

When the start of another tune filled the air, he took steps forward, weaving between the crowds. Lucille couldn't help but walk towards him. This man peaked her curiosity. She wanted to know more. They came face to face in the middle of all the dancers. He grasped her with a gentle yet firm grip and spun her round to the pace of everyone around them. Not a word.

She admired the man in the red suit. It was a pleasant change from all the others. A spark of colour in the sea of monochrome dressed men. The suit was lined with golden silk and golden embroidery on the lapels. Though his deep gaze filled with many emotions was what unsettled something inside her. She'd never seen such expressive eyes as she had him.

They danced throughout the night. Only gazing into each other's eyes. Then he spun her when the music hit a high crescendo. She closed her eyes and lost herself in the music. It's flow enchanting her. Making her feel things she never thought she could feel. When she opened her eyes, she spotted him leaving at the other side of the hall. Quickly she regained herself and weaved herself throughout the dancers.

She must know who he is. She must know if she'll see him again. She followed him still through the entrance to the garden and through the maze. When she caught him up, he turned to her and opened his hand. "Who are you?" she asked. A feeling inside her told her that somehow she knew him. Somehow she'd end up knowing him.

"Let's keep it a mystery young miss." he cooed and smiled softly. He tucked some hair behind her ear and didn't depart like he seemed to be doing so quickly. "What is your name?" he asked. "Lucille." she murmured almost breathless. The moonlight framed his face so perfectly. Her heart skipped a beat and she hope that he was the one who'd finally keep her heart.

He looked towards the moon and frowned. "For the night is ending. I must depart my angel." he cooed. "Will I see you again." she said. "That all depends on you Lucille." he uttered and all he did was press a kiss to her lips. When she opened her eyes he was no where to be seen and she was left with a tingle of excitement and wonder.

She asked around at the ball about this mysterious man and only came back with a name. Nothing else was known about him. Other than she should consider herself special that he wanted to dance with her.

Lucille seemed as though she glided out onto the balcony. She turned her eyes towards the moon and uttered the name everyone bestowed upon her about the man she seemed to have fallen for. She savoured the name on her tongue like a fine red wine. A name that intoxicated her further than his kiss and the gaze that seemed to be only for her. A name that she longed to call for her beloved.

"Cheng."