Chapter 2: Padre muerto

Camila smiled laughing as she walked over and gave Luz a bear hug.

Luz hugged back while smiling wide as well.

"Mamá, ¿papá estará aquí mañana para mi cumpleaños?" She asked.

[Mom, will dad be here tomorrow for my birthday?]

There was a moment of pause in Camila's face as she tried to clear her throat to take the dangling words off of the loose hook.

"Hija... You see..." She began while leading Luz to sit on the couch with her.

Luz frowned when the tension had changed in the room.

"Hija, do you understand what it means when someone is dead?" Camila asked.

"Y... Yeah..? Why? Did something bad happen to him?" Luz hummed.

Camila sighed before reluctantly nodding in response.

"I'm sorry, Hija, but... He's not going to make it to any of your birthdays anymore..." She said before pulling Luz into a gentle embrace.

Luz kept a frown on her as she nuzzled in holding herself back from crying, 'I knew that.... He's barely come home since I was five anyway..'

...

"Hahahaha! A new phone, really??" Luz laughed as she held the phone in both hands.

Willow smiled.

"It's no ordinary phone, Luz, with this phone you can call for help without needing to dial anything." Gus said as he reached over and double-tapped on the screen.

It was immediately sent to a link concerning only one question in particular.

"Send help? Yes or No?"

Luz was in awe by this.

"Wait, why though?" She chuckled.

Gus and Willow frowned as they both sighed trying to keep their composure.

"Your mom told us just two days ago that your dad died, Luz." Willow said.

"So we got you something and something else for her too so that she doesn't have to always feel worried if you ever decide to go out by yourself outside." Gus added.

Soon enough there was a knock on the door, opening it, she was greeted by a familiar face, Amity.

"Hey, birthday girl." She smirked while holding a small puppy that was sitting for its dear life in one hand, "Happy fourteenth birthday."

Luz awed reaching over to hold the small puppy that kept looking around in curiosity around it.

"It's so cute!" She squealed a bit.

Amity chuckled as she tucked both hands inside her side pockets.

Willow leaned forward to see who it was, only to frown and nudge over to Gus who also frowned.

Amity, however, noticed it and quickly replied with a raised brow and an wide cocky grin.

"Come join us, Amity! My mom isn't around because of work so we're the only ones celebrating for now!" Luz gleamed suggesting with a wide smile.