Break Those Walls

"I'm sorry, Y/n, but I do believe it's best that you know what was written in the letter. Now, we keep this between us; I don't want the other four children frightened. Let's just suppose that we have a guest coming—old friends." The mere mention of "old friends" made Miss Peregrine give Chan a look, who avoided eye contact with everyone and stared out the window.

"I need to speak with Y/n... alone," Chan's request caused everyone to look up, and my alarmed expression was visible, near tears and overtaken by nervousness. "I think that isn't-"

"Leave. Don't make me repeat," Chan wasn't planning on yielding to Miss Peregrine's words this time. While not making eye contact, his aura alone prompted Felix and Hyunjin to move from their spots. However, I could sense that he was on the verge of breaking down.

"... I still don't agree with this, but clearly, my words won't go through. Don't do anything stupid... Minho, my child, come." In moments like this, Minho would typically stand up for me, preventing Chan from getting anywhere near me. However, the letter from Minho's greatest horror had shattered those strong walls.

Once the click indicating the door was shut echoed, Chan immediately turned to face me, his eyes holding back tears. "What offer did they make to you?" It took me a while to process his words, and my wavering seemed to make him edgier.

With loud steps, he approached my seat, shaking my shoulder while repeating the same question, "WHAT. PROPOSAL. DID. THEY. MAKE?!"

Studying his face, I could see dishonesty and fear. What happened to the non-emotion Chan I knew? "... I'll say... When you tell yours." Gathering my words withdrew his action. He noticed that I saw right through him, openly reading him.

THUMP, he collapsed on the chair in front of me. Hands quivering like mine were before, he took a deep sigh before laughing at himself, "Sorry... I suppose it has been so long since I heard their name; something just snapped... Did I hurt you?"

The atmosphere momentarily calmed, with no more tension in the air. Nobody had the energy to argue or yell; they were just numbed. "I'm fine. You're the one who looks more disturbed, Chan... Tell me."

Hesitation was clearly seen as he bit his lips, looking anywhere but at me. The man had something hidden, and it was killing me. "Please... You had a history with them, correct?" At first, he was quiet but soon nodded, silently confirming the history that lay behind those three dreaded names.