Chapter 216: The Beauty Within Death

Cover Chapter Artwork by @IzzyDuskThePeacockDe (With her friend's character Hayden.)

Two days of snickering over Xander's moody teenaged angst, chatting with his niece, and just chatting with the other demons in general was a nice change of pace for Azrael.

He took to reading the book on mental health Abigail handed to him, that he vaguely remembered Raziel gifting to Charlie, in his free time and even jotted down notes in the margins. He's helping out wherever he can. Even offering to carry groceries for Josephine when she had her hands full with a crying infant. Most of the time off from the mural was simply spent relaxing as best as he was able to do...however, he still feels the moment when the flames of life are ultimately snuffed out...

It was hard to focus whenever there was a child death he knew Jophiel's got things covered up there with Father but he also didn't want to burden her with his job despite them being a co-collaborative set it wasn't fair for her to work overtime for longer than a week.

He could almost feel her gentle frowning face directed at him all the way from Creation. He looked up from his reading and stared out the Teahouse window towards the portal with a "big brother" challenging gaze.

 He looked up from his reading and stared out the Teahouse window towards the portal with a "big brother" challenging gaze

He was dealing with his issues of not bottling thing up and not viewing his workload as a burden to her. Especially when he knows how hard it must be for her. She's a touch-based empath after all and they share a bond with their roles between life and death, so he knows how much this affects her. Especially seeing him so emotionally messed up for the brief moment he was in Heaven before Raguel absconded with him for the sanctuary of Japan and all it's tranquility.

Azrael has had a hard enough time reminding himself of that memory—without immediately thinking about the nightmare that currently triggered his impromptu visitation into Hell.

It's been a struggle to appear cool and collected in the presence of Xander during the past two days now, but he still called on the truce and the laughing hyena was playing nicety with everyone so far. He could tell the kiddos were wearing him and the chaotic Loa down in the psychopathic tendencies. Though he almost dreads the day Xander and little Dennis join forces...Hell will be doomed!

Mentally Azrael's struggling to cope. It's always worse during plagues and global pandemics the deaths seem to come in droves. Either he can't sleep from the onslaught of newly deceased souls...or the fact his Father sends him screaming potato sacks to suddenly appear in front of him at odd hours of the early morning, lunchtime, or throughout the night. Potato sacks that he immediately sends to their appropriate Rings with a single snap.

After some late night reading in that therapy book, and simply getting to hold the littlest Williams whenever she's not fussy, and Azrael's slowly started to come to terms with the fragility of life and death again.

He finds it unsurprising that on the third day in the early morning hours that the demon to give him so worthwhile advice had been Farouk. One would assume it would've been Miruku but nope. Farouk was the one to suggest writing his thoughts out in poetry after their brief chat within the Teahouse before the Snake Charmer headed off to work at Vinny's Enforcement Agency.