Far Yet Closer III

Ram was trying to sleep. He tossed and turned on the bed.

It has been many days since he got a king-sized bed, all to himself. At first, he had tried to sleep in the middle of the bed like he used to do before marriage. But after a few moments, he moved to the right side of the bed. Sleep seemed to elude him. 

He went to the other side of the bed. Softly he caressed that side. A feeling of void surrounded him. 

"What is she doing now? Is she crying again? Is she sleeping? Should I call? Has she eaten? Is she in pain again?"- thousands of thoughts like these came to his mind. 

He decided to text Priya. 

"Are you sleeping?"

No reply came. Ram looked at the clock. It was about to strike at 1 in the morning. 

"Of course, she's sleeping. Tu bhi na, Ram."

He thought to have a sleeping pill. But then he remembered that he didn't have sleeping pills. He hasn't bought them since...

"Since Priya started to sleep on the left side. I didn't take a single sleeping pill after Priya came into my life."- The realization made Ram smile. 

"While talking to her, teasing her, I don't notice when I fall asleep! What should I do now? What will I do when she'll visit Meera Maa and spend the night there? Slowly I have become dependent on her."  

The realization hit Ram. He sat up. His sleeping problem, binge eating, depression, and crying at random moments- Priya had cured everything. He even stopped taking pills before every meal.

"When did all of this happen?", Ram wondered. His mind was brimming with thoughts and memories of his Priya. 

Suddenly his phone chimed. 

"Why are you still awake?"

It was a text from Priya. Ram grinned watching the text.

"I forgot my sleeping pill."

"Are you allowed to have that? Let me talk to the doctor. If he affirms then I'll send them. Wait a minute."

"Priya, stop. I found it."

"When, where?"

"Just now. I'm having it."

"You're just so impossible! Sometimes I wonder how you survived this long."

"😂 "

"Now you should sleep."

"Listen, Priya. Can I call you?"

"Ok."

Ram made a video call. 

Priya- What happened? Are you not feeling well? Why aren't you sleeping?

Ram- Wo... Priya... It's for you. It's your fault.

Priya- What? What have I done now?

Ram- You haven't told me, na. I was wondering who faced your wreath today in your class. You know how concerned I become for people. I was so concerned for your students. 

Priya- [Sulking] Mr. Kapoor... You keep finding different ways to call me stern. If you tease me one more time I'll straight come to you to give you a good scolding. Then you'll have to be concerned for yourself. 

Ram- But how will you? The doctors have created a wall between us. 

Priya- If I want to meet you, I'll break apart any wall. Whether that's made by a doctor or the army. 

Ram- I know. That's why I am able to stay calm in this locked room. Because I know, if it's needed, madam Priya won't take a second to come. 

Priya- [Stuttering] I mean... if... if you pull my leg once again I'll really come. 

Ram- [Laughing] Ok. Achha, listen. Tell me something. Did you cry today too?

Priya- Tch. Mr. Kapoor... Kuch bhi. I think the meds are affecting you. What are you saying? Why will I cry? 

Ram- [Laughing] Tum jab aise much fula lete ho na, bade achhe lagte hain. 

                         ...And their conversation went on up until Priya fell asleep. Ram looked at her sleeping face. Priya always falls asleep first. But he never really noticed how beautiful and innocent she looked while sleeping. A strand of hair fell on her face. Ram was about to move those but he realized Priya wasn't actually there with him. He smiled a melancholic smile. He kept the mobile on the left side. and closed his eyes. Soon he surrendered to the night's tender caress, drifting into a realm of dreams. With a smile on his face which was a gift from his Priya. 

*

Caressed by the dawn's light, Priya stirred from her slumber. Her gaze fell on the phone. It wasn't locked. She picked it up. It took her a few seconds to recognize her husband's night attire and hairy chest. Priya stared at the phone. More than half of the screen was dark. But due to the sunlight, she could figure out his night attire and chest. When it occurred to her that she was gawking at his partially visible chest, she cut the call. Her cheek became all red and hot. She scolded herself in her mind and went to the washroom. 

Ram woke up early in the morning. He remembered that he hadn't cut the call and searched for the phone to find it near his chest. He smiled at his own antics. He had hugged the phone in his sleep. He picks it up and found that the call was cut. 

"I didn't think I will miss you this much.", Ram smiled. He couldn't wait for this isolation to end.