Mommy Dearest

A/N: this is a Hyunjin POV chapter. It is mostly going to focus on his relationship with his mom and his past. The next couple of chapters will switch between Hyunjin and Felix. 
TW for family dynamics and divorce/emotional abandonment. If it triggers you, please take care of yourself! Message if you want a summary without details. No Hyunlix plots in this chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hyunjin put his phone down on the counter and sat down at the table, twisting the letter in his hands a couple of times. He hadn't heard from his mother in years, not since she told him that he wasn't allowed to come back if he majored in art. Last he heard, she had moved to the Philippines with her boyfriend.

Deciding to just rip off the bandaid, he tore the corner and ran his finger across the seal. Inside the envelope was a folded up piece of paper labeled "my baby".

He pulled it out and unfolded it, hating the way that his heart reacted to the familiar scent of his mother's perfume. Jasmine and lotus flower.

Jinnie,

I know we didn't leave things off on the best note, and I know that is my fault. I shouldn't have let your decision to pursue art mean the end for us. I'm back home and really want to see you. Please come visit for Christmas. I hope you will use the tickets.

Love, mom

Folded with the letter was a picture of Hyunjin and his mom at his school graduation. He remembered that day like it was yesterday, and not for the happy go lucky moments that kids should have. He got the short end of the stick, stuck between his bickering parents, where he always seemed to end up.

His mom ended up screaming at his father that he had no right to be there after what he did. Yes, Hyunjin was mad at his dad for putting him in the position to lie about the affair. He shouldn't have been put in a position like that to begin with. But he was still his dad. Up until Hyunjin was thirteen, his dad was always around. He was at every dance showcase, swim meet, even the annual spelling bee where he lost after the first round because he froze.

Despite everything, though, his mom had been so proud of him that day. It was the first day after the night he almost ended it all, that his mom looked at him with hope in her eyes. Just for a day, he wanted to bask his mother's support. He knew it wouldn't last if she found out about his plan to pursue art.

And then there was the night he left...

*flashback*

"Hyunnie!" His mom yelled from downstairs.

"What?!" He yelled back as he stopped his drawing, focusing his attention to the door.

"What?!" He yelled again when he didn't hear anything. With a sigh he pushed his chair back and stomped out of his room to the top of the stairs.

"Mom?!" He yelled down, only to hear nothing in return. He groaned and was about to turn back to his room when his mom appeared at the bottom of the stairs. His heart didn't know if it should drop or beat out of his chest when he saw her holding a white envelope from Arizona State.

"What is this?" She asked with a raised brow.

Hyunjin flew down the stairs and reached for the envelope, only for his mom to hold it up out of reach. She was shorter than her son but Hyunjin wouldn't dare use that against her.

"Give it!" He ordered with his best attempt at intimidation.

"You applied to the art program?" She challenged.

"You opened it?!" Hyunjin gritted back with a clenched jaw.

"Of course I opened it. You're my son and you get a letter from a school across the world?" Her tone became increasingly angry.