Day 16

August 7th, 2009

I had been on the computer most of the day. But not to see new things on facebook or twitter or that kind of thing. No. I was looking to found something to do for the rest of my summer. So i wrote "Way to help people during summer for a teenager" in my browser. A lot of them was just about how to make money in the summer. But that wasn't what I wanted. So I went down and found a website that was telling me a lot of organizations that needs volunteers. I read them quickly, most of them weren't for me. One get my attention. It was to go help in retirement homes. I did that once, when I was about twelve. I had been a nice experience. So I thought I could do it again. 

I found one that wasn't too far from my house. I went there in the afternoon, just after taking Safaa to the neigbourd's house. It was just like I remembered. Maybe they're all the same. They're was this small office in the hall, framed by little trees. The girl behind the desk seemed to be way too happy for that kind of place. I walked up to her, trying to smile a bit. 

- Hi, you're there to see someone ? She asked, while putting back her ears her black hair. 

- Hum... No. I wanted to know if you'd need some volunteers.

- We always need some !

Way too happy for this place. For me too. 

- It's nice to see some kids like you here. Is it OK for you to go see an old man, about... three times a week ? The girl that used to do that moved in London.

- It's OK for me.

- When do you want to start ?

- Now ?

I really needed to do something of my life. I was becoming insane, being by my own. Talking to that old man would be nice. It would changed my mind.

- Mister O'Niell is room 231. He's an alone man. Do you want me to come with you... hum... ?

- Zayn. And I think it's gonna be OK. The stairs are... ?

- Right there, she answered, pointing next to her office. He's nice, don't worry.

I smiled a bit, then went to the staircase. I walked up to the second floor, then a looked up to the doors, just in case the number "231" would pop up to my face. I finally found it, not too far from the end of the hallway. I knocked two times and waited there. After a few minutes, an old man answered me. He looked at me weird and almost closed the door straight away. I just had the time to see an old photography in the corner of the nightstand. I was a bit shocked, so I leave the place slowly. I went back down to the office, where the lady still was. 

- He's not there ? She asked, a bit stressed.

- Yeah... He just... closed the door as soon as he saw me. 

- Maybe I should come with you.

- Can it be tomorrow ? I just got a text from my mom, she wants me to go home.

A big lie. But I wasn't feeling like being rejected an other time that day. She nodded and I smiled a bit, then I get back outside. I had been rejected by an old man living alone in a retirement home. Hard.

-----

What do you think about that entry ? R, xx